Landlord's agent charges €50 callout fee

Is this a change to the terms and conditions of his lease agreement?

Why would the introduction of a new charge have anything at all to do with the likelyhood of issues in getting the deposit back?
Sharp practice.

I try to comply with the law, so yes I do!
Well done you!

I know a few landlords and one had an inspection and were worried about it, so I said to them it's better to have a few things wrong rather than having everything right. That way they will concentrate on those things, and you know what they are so it's easy to fix. And so it came to pass. Administration from corpo came out and noted a few things, had a discussion about no heater in the toilet so suggested a blow heater, and we were wondering if you put in a fake one would they switch it on ! (because it's very expensive to get an electrician out for just a small job like that). Something else about ventilation and putting a hole in the window frame or something. The report was grand. Because it was clear the place had been upgraded recently. So the landlord is diligent.

Seems to me that Irish tenants get away with murder. Because all the onus is on the landlord acting as Mammy.

And what is it with smoke alarms, my pulled out the batteries all the time.
Get wired in fire alarms, think these were supposed to be installed after 2009 anyway.

Agree. Keep as you got it.

A microwave being classed as an mandatory item makes no sense. Many kitchens function quite well without one. Mine does.

Maybe air fryers and pod coffee machines will be next on the mandatory equipment...
Think the reason for the long list of specified objects is because in the legislation prior to original PRTB in 2003, the law just said "means of cooking and storing food" and "means of heating" rather than specifying anything.
The ridiculous one is insisting on having a drier, as in many small homes there isn't room for both a washer and a drier, and the cheap and nasty washer driers out there are some of the least efficient, most carbon intensive driers you can find.

Think the reason for the long list of specified objects is because in the legislation prior to original PRTB in 2003, the law just said "means of cooking and storing food" and "means of heating" rather than specifying anything.
The ridiculous one is insisting on having a drier, as in many small homes there isn't room for both a washer and a drier, and the cheap and nasty washer driers out there are some of the least efficient, most carbon intensive driers you can find.
My experience of washer dryers in rental units with no garden is the tenants. Perhaps suppling a dehumidifier would be a better solution. Tenants probably would not use that either.

My experience of washer dryers in rental units with no garden is the tenants. Perhaps suppling a dehumidifier would be a better solution. Tenants probably would not use that either.
in an ideal world, apartments would (like they do in Germany) require MUDs to include spaces for drying clothes outdoors by default rather than this nutty scenario we have now where hanging out a towel to dry on your balcony is regarded as grand theft of the MUDs finite resources of perceived grandeur.

Even better as well a communal room where everyone can put their washer and tumbledryer.
Finland too - most of the cost is covered by service charges, with purchaseable tokens for running a machine for X amount of time, which prevents abuse. I lived in a German apartment block in the mid 90s where the entire attic was set up with both washing machines, driers, and clothes lines to dry naturally - they kept the windows open in summer to prevent humidity building, and used a dehumidifier in the winter for same.

Even better as well a communal room where everyone can put their washer and tumbledryer.
Communal equipment is what I had while living in Switzerland. Everyone had a key card and the cost was put onto your own electricity use. That was 20yrs ago and we still have not refined what communal space and multi unit living is about or entails.

In saying that, I do not think such a system could be worked in Ireland. Clothes left in communal spaces (in or outdoors) would dissappear and people would leave the place in a mess /contunaly hog equipment like it was a sun lounger at a pool in Spain.

Shared equipment would also cut down on leaks from washing machines, which seem to account for a lot of leaks in appartments, with the ensuing cost of repairs to ceilings, floors and walls.

There are some mentions of mandatory equipment above - are those only mandatory for furnished rentals?
For example if I have an unfurnished bare bones unit that I want to rent am I bound by those regulations too? Presumably not?

On a side note I can't help but think if I were to rent a unit unfurnished long term to a tenant that had the wherewithall to be tooled up in terms of their own furniture & appliances that they would in theory be better tenants in the sense that they are demonstrating that they're more put together than a tentant that comes through the door bearing just suitcases.

There are some mentions of mandatory equipment above - are those only mandatory for furnished rentals?
The required items like white goods and microwave are mandatory for all leases of less than 10 years, furnished and unfurnished. The relevant legislation is here.

The RTA states:

Obligations of landlords.
12.—(1) In addition to the obligations arising by or under any other enactment, a landlord of a dwelling shall—

(a) allow the tenant of the dwelling to enjoy peaceful and exclusive occupation of the dwelling,

(b) subject to subsection (2), carry out to—

(i) the structure of the dwelling all such repairs as are, from time to time, necessary and ensure that the structure complies with any standards for houses for the time being prescribed under section 18 of the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1992, and

(ii) the interior of the dwelling all such repairs and replacement of fittings as are, from time to time, necessary so that that interior and those fittings are maintained in, at least, the condition in which they were at the commencement of the tenancy and in compliance with any such standards for the time being prescribed,

There is an obligation on a landlord to make his contact details known to the tenant.

IANAL but I don't think it is reasonable under the RTA for the landlord to charge a tenant for callout to be made aware of issues with the state of the property. It is quite literally the landlord's legal obligation to maintain the property in the condition at the start of the property (see above).

Fair enough that the items which are required by law should be maintained and/or repaired if they break through no fault of a tenant.
I have heard about furniture and other non-mandatory items that were damaged during a tenancy and landlords were expected to replace them.
That clause in bold says fittings - does that not mean anything internal or external that is fixed/ fitted in the property like kitchen cabinets, electrics, plumbing, roof tiles, joinery?

That clause in bold says fittings - does that not mean anything internal or external that is fixed/ fitted in the property like kitchen cabinets, electrics, plumbing, roof tiles, joinery?
I would take fittings to include anything that is fitted and removable - kitchen cabinets would be an example.

Plumbing, roof tiles, electrics etc would presumably be either fixtures or part of the structure of the property.

Any advice for when the oil is allowed to run out several times a year and a plumber is required? Or no oil heating at all when the electricity credits were being given. A electric fan heater was used in the living room. It is impossible to include everything in a lease. What is the definition of frivolous?

I would take fittings to include anything that is fitted and removable - kitchen cabinets would be an example.

Plumbing, roof tiles, electrics etc would presumably be either fixtures or part of the structure of the property.
That's what I thought. So if a landlord provides a fully furnished dwelling even though that is not mandatory, are they legally required to repair or replace items damaged by tenants?

That's what I thought. So if a landlord provides a fully furnished dwelling even though that is not mandatory, are they legally required to repair or replace items damaged by tenants?
The problem I would see in not replacing/repairing is that tenants signed a lease based on what they saw when they viewed or what was in the inventory. So I would think they can expect to have it repaired legally. (I am not a legal expert).
Sorry, I didn't see the "damaged by tenants", I would think the same if it could be considered normal wear and tear.

Back