Landlord Viewing Tonight while I am still Tenant

bigbadostric

Hi all,

Landlord is viewing the property tonight with prospective new tenants. Our lease is until 31st August. Have no problem with him doing this as it's in the lease as a condition, but are we expected to vacate the premises while this goes on? I don't see why we would be particularly with valuables being around the house but want to be sure what the custom is.

Tricky! If it was in the agreement then you must comply. Take small valuables with you.. jewlery etc. It doesn't sound like you have much faith in your landlord perhaps you should stay close to your home whilst he is viewing it, so no one can take off with your TV.

Once the lanlord has given you notice and as you say it's in the T&C's there's no problem, as they need to get another tenant in asap.
I'd suggest you simply store away any personals/valuables from view as they will not be going through drawers/cupboards etc and the landlord will or should be with the viewer at all times..

If it's in the contract that they can view the place before you move out but is it in the contract you have to leave the premises.

There is no way i would allow someone to walk around where my private and personal things are without me there.

When I was viewing places i always prefered that no one was in the house ( hard sometimes i know ) but i like to poke around and opens doors and cupboards and see what the wardrobe layout it ( maybe a girly thing ) i wouldn't like the idea of someone else doing this to my things, and i'd feel just as uncomfortable doing it to someone else.

If it's in the contract that they can view the place before you move out but is it in the contract you have to leave the premises.

There is no way i would allow someone to walk around where my private and personal things are without me there.

When I was viewing places i always prefered that no one was in the house ( hard sometimes i know ) but i like to poke around and opens doors and cupboards and see what the wardrobe layout it ( maybe a girly thing ) i wouldn't like the idea of someone else doing this to my things, and i'd feel just as uncomfortable doing it to someone else.

It doesnt state I need to leave the premises in the contract, but I'm wondering if any landlords could tell me whether they would expect me to leave while it is being shown. I don't see why they would expect this considering we have paid for use of the property for this month, and I would definitely prefer to be there to ensure nothing valuable gets taken as there is a lot in there. (42' tv, playstation, ipods etc)

Stay in the house, I had stuff nicked many years ago in a similar situation.

If it doesn't say that you need to leave the house then i wouldn't.

Your moving out anyway, whats the landlord going to do??

I dont think you need to worry about your 42' telly being taken, it's not something you can stick up your jumper.

Hi Bigbadostric
I would stay outside the front door, viewings dont often take to long and i have found it has worked fine for me in the past.

Hi Bigbadostric
As a landlord I would prefer to show my property once it is vacated. First impressions & all that! But, if I had to show with tenants in place, I would certainly perfer them to be home at the time, it also gives a good impression to the prospective tenants if a good relationship exists between landlord & existing tenants.

In the end he didn't even turn up last night... annoying when i made the effort to be there! Thanks for the advice anyway all.

Did he even let you know he couldn't be coming?

That is annoying all right but you might have a few more of these before you move out.

Back