Landlord mixing AirB&B with long term tenants - RTB fine for non-notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree there is no question asked.
OP.
From your post, it's clear you did not have the consent of all occupants nor do you seem to value the privacy tenancy rights of your long term tenant.
Consent from all occupants is not required in order to enter a property. I always obtained consent from at least one tenant prior to entering.

I suspect that this is a misreading of the limited information given by the OP.

Lots of places are let room-by-room with no difficulty.

The issue here is surely the landlord having residential inhabitant lessees sharing their home with short-term Airbnb-style licensees without their consent.
They are not legally classed as short term tenancies given they are all longer than two weeks.

Hello all,
I have a question I would love some input on.
Myself and my wife own a property through a limited company.
Its a four bed house with all tenants sharing the common areas (bathrooms, kitchen etc).
Two of the tenants moved out and I instead decided to rent out the two rooms via Airbnb on legal lengths (so 14 days upwards). Most of them are about 6 weeks in length. Mainly I decided to do this as the current tenants were a pain so I want to do it this way instead.
I provide weekly cleaning and I meet the cost of the electricity for the two rooms.

One of the original tenants complained to the RTB that I am not permitting her to have peace in the property as I do not give her notice when new tenants arrive or indeed when the cleaners arrive. I obtain permission to enter the property from the shorter term tenants.

RTB awarded the tenant €3k as they agreed with her. However I do obtain permission from the other shorter term tenants and that should be sufficient to enter the property.

You are the reason landlords have such a bad name in Ireland. Absolutely awful situation for your long term tenants. More fines coming your way with any luck.

You are the reason landlords have such a bad name in Ireland. Absolutely awful situation for your long term tenants. More fines coming your way with any luck.
Whats awful? Renting the rooms out on fixed term contracts of between 1- 8 months? Whats so awful about that?

My question is has anyone come across instances where permission from one group of tenants are sufficient to allow access into the property.
The RTB have already given you the answer on this one. Allowing short term let tenants into accommodation does not in any way void the rights of long-term tenants already in situ.

The RTB have already given you the answer on this one. Allowing short term let tenants into accommodation does not in any way void the rights of long-term tenants already in situ.
Leo - I imagine you may not have read this thread or alternatively do not understand the legislation. As I have already outlined - short term lets are defined as stays of less than 14 days. I have already indicated that the stays are in excess of such.

Leo - I imagine you may not have read this thread or alternatively do not understand the legislation. As I have already outlined - short term lets are defined as stays of less than 14 days. I have already indicated that the stays are in excess of such.
I imagine you have misunderstood the legislation. The 14 day prohibition does not limit the interpretation of short term letting to just that of 14 days or less.

Hello all,
I have a question I would love some input on.
Myself and my wife own a property through a limited company.
Its a four bed house with all tenants sharing the common areas (bathrooms, kitchen etc).
Two of the tenants moved out and I instead decided to rent out the two rooms via Airbnb on legal lengths (so 14 days upwards). Most of them are about 6 weeks in length. Mainly I decided to do this as the current tenants were a pain so I want to do it this way instead.
I provide weekly cleaning and I meet the cost of the electricity for the two rooms.

One of the original tenants complained to the RTB that I am not permitting her to have peace in the property as I do not give her notice when new tenants arrive or indeed when the cleaners arrive. I obtain permission to enter the property from the shorter term tenants.

RTB awarded the tenant €3k as they agreed with her. However I do obtain permission from the other shorter term tenants and that should be sufficient to enter the property.
None. You are offering them a house share, not a quasi hotel with strangers arriving on holidays etc. They are perfectly entitled to expect that the remainder of the house is let to long term tenants like themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back