Landlord in Receivership

Laurette

Hi,
Wonder if anybody can shed some light on this. My daughter received a letter from Grant Thorton to advise that the house that she has been renting is in Receivership. She has been paying the Landlord the monthly rent via direct debit, but Landlord is in South Africa. The letter states that the next rent need to be paid to the Receivers. Basically, my question is: Has she any rights, can they tell her to move out straight away, must she pay the Receivers or try and make contact with Landlord to establish what is going on.

She is a single mother with 2 children, and there is absolutely no property's available to rent at the moment, and if there is the prices are astronomical.

Thanks for any advice, that anybody can give me. I want her to do the right thing.

Tips for when the property you are renting goes into receivership
The following tips are a guide to help you when a receiver is appointed to the property you are renting.
1. Your tenancy continues and you have a right to remain in the property.
2. If you have a current lease the receiver should honour the pre-existing tenancy terms and conditions.
3. There is no legal obligation on you to sign a new lease if you do not wish to do so.
4. Your tenancy can only be ended by the serving of valid notice in accordance with the Residential Tenancies Act 2004.
5. The receiver must provide you with a deed of appointment for your property (this is the document signed by the landlord’s bank which confirms the bank have appointed a receiver).
6. Get the receiver to confirm if they will take on the responsibility of returning your deposit at the end of the tenancy.
7. Get confirmation from the receiver that in addition to accepting the rent that they will take on responsibility for ongoing tenancy issues such as maintenance and repairs.
8. If the receiver will not confirm that he has become the landlord and/or the original landlord continues to demand rent or indicate that the receiver is to be ignored, contact Threshold for further guidance.

All information taken from Threshold website.

Back