Landlord expense receipts for revenue

Jordan Belfort

I'm a typical "mom and pop" landlord and so obviously not registered for VAT. Occasionally when I ask a tradesman/handyman for a receipt I get the "a VAT receipt will cost you extra" line. They often offer a non-VAT receipt but is usually on a handwritten receipt book with with a scribbled illegible scrawl of name/signature/details.

I usually end up paying extra so I can get proper VAT receipt. Should I be able use these "non VAT receipts" and would revenue have issue with the quality if they ever looked for them ?

If the tradesman is VAT registered but not charging you VAT in return for a cash payment, that is a serious matter for them.

To claim your expenses against tax you must have a receipt. I do not think that there is any legal definition of receipt.

I had just this issue with a Revenue audit. They questioned a receipt which although quite detailed in terms of work done did not have any suppliers details except the name. I was able to supply Revenue with his telephone number and they were satisfied with that. Probably because the vendor checked out.

I suggest that to cover yourself you need the suppliers name and pps number. No reason you cannot write these details on the receipt yourself.

Back