Land Rover Discovery TD5 (2004) - Opinions please

PaddyBloggit

I'm looking at picking up a Land Rover Discovery TD5 (2004) but am getting mixed opinions on them - reliability/engine issues etc.

And then on the other hand I get others saying very positive things about them.

The one I'm looking at has a service history, is a UK import, has 140k miles on the clock but ....

What's your experience/opinion of them?

Last edited:
A relative had the 2001 model, and he was constantly spending fortunes just to keep it on the road.
A couple of other things worth checking...

Is the service history stamped by reputable dealers and does it note the miliage at each service?
What would your annual road tax be? Most pre-2008 SUV-type vehicles would have very high annual road tax.

A senior aftersales Director in a Land Rover Dealership told me a few years ago that you should only ever own one while it's in warranty...

My experience would be to agree with him, unless of course you don't mind the monthly bills to keep it

we had an 08 one in the company a few years ago with fairly low millage. It cost a fortune to maintain and was always in the garage.

Never had one but I know someone who had a secondhand one. It gave a nice bit of trouble.
He has a slightly newer one now that isn't as troublesome.

I'm looking at picking up a Land Rover Discovery TD5 (2004) but am getting mixed opinions on them - reliability/engine issues etc.

And then on the other hand I get others saying very positive things about them.

The one I'm looking at has a service history, is a UK import, has 140k miles on the clock but ....

What's your experience/opinion of them?

Land rover discovery were never anywhere near as reliable as the Toyota landcruiser but pre 2005 models were particularly troublesome,very nice to drive otherwise, I wouldn't pay more than 4 k for it

After much research, I've decided against it. The negatives far outweigh the positives.

Thanks for all the advice. It helped with the decision.

Back