Land Registry-selling before process completed

sara:)

I will try & explain this as best as i can. My boyfriend was left land & a house to him under trust until he reached 25,which happened two years ago. He then contacted the solicitors who originally drew up this settlement for his granmother who left him the land etc. A legal executive has been dealing with this for him. He was left this land under a settlement. Anyway after about 8 months, the legal exec eventually got my boyf to sign something & trustees etc. & sent to land registry, that was approx a year ago. It still has not been looked at by land registry. Legal exec does not know how long it will take. She said you can begin to sell however once you have a dealing reference with the land registry. The sale would be subject to obtaining full title. Just looking for some advice from solicitors? Would someone be willing to buy without title etc?
Or are we better to just wait? we are hoping to buy our own house.
Could we sell with a different solicitor or will our current solicitors just make that difficult? ( not very happy with them as they are most unhelpful) Any advice much appreciated??

There may be mapping involved which is why it would take so long in the land registry- was the house part of a larger folio of land? Otherwise it should not take that long. Get the dealing number and ring the land registry or better still write to them, explain your circumstances and ask them to expedite the dealing. It sounds as if you shouldn't have a problem in selling from what you have outlined presuming tax returns made and clearances obtained etc. If you are not happy with the firm then move, you will just pay for work done to date. They should not make this difficult for you but if they do your new solicitor will be able to deal with that.

thanks Vanilla, yes the house is just part of a larger folio. Will definetely write to land registry.

Back