Labour relations commission (LRC) - Hearing

C

casio1

Hi,
I will be representing a relative at an LRC hearing soon over a dispute with their former employer regarding the non-payment of wages for the final 3 months of their employment before they were made redundant (they didnt get redundancy either)

I am just wondering does anybody have experience of these hearings and what I might expect?

Are they relatively informal and how much detail are we expected to go into.

Thanks in advance.

I had a dispute with an employer a few years ago and met a rights commissioner.
I also had to go to the employment appeals tribunal on a different matter with the same employer.
Both experiences were OK and relatively informal.
Be sure to bring all your documentation, wage slips, time sheets,bank statements if paid through bank etc.
It is ideal if you are able to show (on paper) your loss of earnings etc. You can bring witnesses (e.g. fellow employees etc) but I did not think this was necessary in my case. I was awarded exactly what I lost in wages (1600 euros approx) and nothing more.
Best of luck.

PS Be aware that in most cases you will only be compensated for actual loss of wages that you can prove.

It is very helpful for the rights commissioner if you bring a written submission summarising exactly what happened and what your dispute is with the relevant paperwork suck as payslips etc added as appendices. Have the originals with you in case the copies are challenged. You can then read the submission at the hearing which makes presenting your case easier and ensures that you don;t forget to mention something relevant. The rights commissioner has a copy to take away and does not have to rely on their own notes when considering their decision (you don;t get a decision on the day - they will write out later). You should also bring a copy for the opposing side.

I second the advise of the previous posters - have a written submission.

Both aprties will be allowed to present their side first.

I have been to a few of them with my boss. She always refers to the RC as Mr. Chairman.

Don't interupt the other speaker - take notes of issues you disagree with and you will be given an oppurtunity to respond. If you have covered it in your presentation - just refer back to submission as the RC could have 4-5 cases in the same day.

Hope you're on first as once we were 3 hours waiting for our slot once.

Back