LA tenant about to marry coop house owner. Will change of circumstances have impact?

Ris

Struggled to find the right forum for this odd question so apologies if this is the wrong one.

A neighbour of mine asked for some advice this morning and I wondered if anyone here would know the situation.

She is a single parent with two children living in a local authority house. She is engaged to be married and her husband to be is the owner of a house in a co-op housing scheme which has a subsidised mortgage from the same local authority. He is 8 years living in the co-op house and must be 10 years living there before he can sell the house without having to repay the subsidies.

They both want to inform the local authority of their new living status after they get married as they both want to live in the local authority house as its nearer her childrens schools, friends, etc. Her partner is worried that this might have some impact on her tenancy because he already has a home. He is concerned that the local authority might say that she should leave her house and move in to his home after they get married.

He has no idea what he is going to do with the co-op house, except that in two years time he will probably be in a better position to sell it. In the meantime, I think he might just try and maintain both homes as best he can.

Any ideas or guidance? Can the Local Authority insist that they move out of their home? I'm stumped on this one!

When you both get married Council will both want your P60's and P21's at the end of the year and if you exceed the amount of €40,000 between you, you will be paying the high rate if you are already receiving a supplement from the government, this will go and you will get nothing from them. Happened to me in 2008.

Back