Krakow on All Saints Day

gebbel

Flying over there on the 1st November for 3 nights on the town. Chatting to a buddy of mine this evening, he tells me that the 1st November is a holiday in Poland, and all the pubs are closed because of all saints day. This day is apparently deeply spiritual for Poles as they remember their dead by going to cemetaries en masse to light candles.
I hope that it does'nt sound disrepectful to bring this up in light of the above (because as I type this that's how it feels, but it's not meant that way), but does anyone know whether or not we will be able to have a decent night out that night?
Any opinions appreciated

Last edited:
From what I've been told by Polish friends, yes, it is a big deal but you should still be able to have a night out - particularly in the larger towns and cities - like Krakow.

Any tips on Krakow, gebbel? I am heading there on Friday and any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

I'd be grateful too. I'm heading over next week & am wondering what the weather is like before I pack.... I expect I'll need my winter woolies !

Yes it was colder than here, and sometimes wetter too so pack some winter clothes. Krakow is great. it was my third time there on a short break. First time was in 2004 and how some things have changed! Firstly you don't get as much with your €. In 2004 I remember getting 4.50PLN for 1€. Last weekend I got 3.50PLN. Still, it is much cheaper than here, especially to eat, drink and get accomodation.
A pint of polish beer costs 7PLN which is €2. Be careful with it though, it's strong as I found out to my cost (but none of that here :eek: )! We drank Zywiec which we all agreed is a very enjoyable one. Eating out is also cheap, a good meal with a couple of beers for no more than €15. Can't remember the name but we ate a super mexican on the town square(Rynek glowny between Bracka and Grodzka) so would recommend this. Polish food is, well, rank, unless hard boiled eggs floating around in a bowl of cabbage and beetroot soup is your thing!
[broken link removed] and this was a great idea. Better than a hotel for our group, as we were all single blokes. €30 per day each. Love the cavernous underground pubs and restaurants, there are so many!
Of course then the day trips...we went to Auschwicz and that's pretty much a must. Of course it's sombre but it's a experience all who go to this part of the world should see. At the very end you are taken to the gas chambers and the crematoria....speaking is forbidden...chilling stuff.
The best and cheapest way to get there is by public bus from the bus station. It costs 7PLN each way. Be careful, the destination is "Oswiecim", Auschwicz was the German name. If you are in a group a taxi will charge 300PLN, the journey is 70km along bad roads.
There are other things to see...the salt mines....Schindlers factory....the jewish quarter (Kazimierz)....a communist tour etc, just pick up a brochure from any kiosk.
Whatever you do now is a good time to be going. The Poles are rapidly breaking out from their impoverished past and life there is changing for the better. The value that is to be had today will not continue probably past a decade. Enjoy yourselves.

Last edited:
Cheers for that, gebbel. I looked at bbc weather and it looks like I am in for snow - so the woolies will be out :)

Thanks for that Gebbel. I Love Mexican food ! I'm told it's wonderful there when is snows. Have a great time shnaek

hi indebtedgal,

we have wyspianski hotel booked, its just 5 mins from main square & a very good rate.

Food and drink was fantastic - good and great value. Had a lovely meal in Pod Aniolami on the street that leads from the main square down to the castle. Mmmmmmm absolute amazing choice and quality, cheap and great service for really good prices! People were so helpful and friendly in Krakow it made the visit even nicer:) Also Balaton, think its on the same street, had huge portions of wonderful Hungarian grub, even cheaper again!!!

We stayed in a small hotel called Wielopole and it was lovely and close to main centre can also second pod aniolami www.podaniolami.pl you can check menu. 4 of us went there and had lovely food plus 2 bottles of wine and I think there was 2 pints of beer for under 100e . The whole place is lovely I would like to see it in the snow

Cannot recommend the place highly enough - was there on a rugby tour last march and it is a beautiful and very fun city. Pints are around €1.50 and thousands of pubs- Nightclub called Frantic I think is very good esp on Thurs night as student night - dress ok though or they will not let you in. Stayed here [broken link removed] great location and reasonable- rooms were fine basic enough.

Just returned from Krakow today.. Very cold at night and raining. Stayed at Andels Hotel, a 4 star, open since 2006.. Brilliant location and great value booked through alpharooms.com (290 euro x1 king room, 3 nights incl breakfast).

Took in the trip to Zackopane... definitely the highlight of our stay.
Szara, a restaurant in Market Square we liked. Done the Salt mines trip too. Shopping not great towards other cities. Taxis very cheap.

All in all enjoyable enough but bring lots of warm clothes, hat, gloves, scarve and boots... you will need them.

PS: the duty free in Krakow airport is useless and perfumes etc.. quite expensive..

Last edited:
Hi Armada. What's the trip to Zackopane about ? I haven't heard that one mentioned before.

Thanks for advice re duty free. Always good to know in advance

Polish food is, well, rank, unless hard boiled eggs floating around in a bowl of cabbage and beetroot soup is your thing! v

Seriously? Polish food is one of the best in Europe! Their beetroot soup is delicious if you get it prepared properly. There is a student/tourist restaurant called 'Babci Maliny (Raspberry Grandma)' almost on the main square (S[SIZE=-1]ł[/SIZE]awkowska 17) which offers proper Polish food and is incredibly good value. [SIZE=-1]'Pierogi Ruskie' is a speciality - dumplings filled with cheese, potatoes and onion.[/SIZE]
http://www.kuchniaubabcimaliny.pl/

Zakopane is a winter ski resort in the Tatra Mountains. It is about 120km( 1hr 30mins) from Krakow.

It is a beautiful village/town, with great log cabin type houses and is completely different(I believe) to the rest of Poland. It's views of the mountain peaks etc... are spectacular and even the trip up to it gives you a completly different insight to the "real " Polish way of life.

Any Polish person I had met here prior to travelling- when I had mentioned going to Krakow, immediately asked me if I was going to Zakopane.
It has a funicular railway and at the moment is covered in snow.

Trains, Taxis etc... run there daily, about 50 euro for the hotel taxi(return).

More info ...www.zakopane.pl

Armada, thanks for that. The sites I was looking up were more focused on the more immediate environs of Krakow. I'm there 5 days & Zakopane looks like an ideal day trip.

Budapest I'll try that restaurant. I love to try local specialities.

We actually used Cracow Tours for our trip. They go every Wed and Sat. 220 PN ea. We were collected from our hotel at 8.30am and dropped back at 6 ish. Bookable at hotel receptions.

English speaking guide and lots of free time to wander around yourself.

As I said highly recommended.

Thanks for everyones suggestions. I had a great trip. Krakow was covered in snow & very beautiful. Temp was -5* down to -12* up the mountains so I was very glad I took the advice to bring warm clothing.
I stayed in the Ascot Hotel & would heartily recommend it. 5 mins down from train station & also close to main sq. Cost €260 for 5 days B & B. Not posh but brand new, built in '07.
Zakopane is well worth the trip - thanks Armada - its' a different world up there.
They were setting up the stalls for the Christmas markets so I reckon that's about to start for anyone yet to visit.
The Hot Beer is definitely different but is also good for warming the hands !

Back