Knocklyon Bus Routes

foxi_fitzi

Some of you might know already we are looking for an apartment in Knocklyon/Ballycullen as we are already living near this area.

My bf uses his car for work all the time, so public transport is not a consideration for him - on the other hand, I rely on the bus to get me into town for an early start.

One of the routes I have been looking at is the 15 - Can anyone advise is this a regular bus / does is get very full / how long does it take to get into city centre in the morning?

Thanks,

F

Check this out very carefully. I have a friend living in Hunterswood who says the bus service is dreadful. We left Woodstown about 18 months ago and while we both drove to work - we were never able to use the bus for getting into town etc. You could be waiting up to an hour. We used to drive to Terenure, dump the car and get a bus into town! Not ideal!

my2leftfeet,

I live in Ballycullen.

the 49 service is very frequent to the woodstown/hunterswood area in the mornings. Infact its every 15 minutes. [broken link removed]. Its takes me around 30 mins to the city centre at the time I leave.

Also the 15 service from Knocklyon (about 10 mins walk from ballycullen) is very frequent at peak time also.

Thanks my2leftfeet,

See that's exactly what I don't want, as I am soley dependant on public transport, the bus route is vital to my location.

I have begun to realise the hard way!! Dependable bus routes go hand in hand with where you will reside, that is if you rely on the bus (like me) to get you to work etc.

I know that if I can't depend on a locations public transport I will not move there, and on that note I'm asking again, should anyone use the 15 bus route from Knocklyon/Ballycullen location I would really appreciate all your feedback.

Thanks again everyone.

F

foxi-fitzi .... dellboy is a current regular user so his experience would be more valid. To be fair - we moved 18 months ago and had given up on the bus service a good bit before that ... so my info is out of date.

don't think it is my2leftfeet - my sister lives in Hunterswood and hardly ever gets the bus - it's a good walk to it and it takes forever to get into Dame Street. Have they even put on any more buses in the last couple of years with all the people moving into the new developments in the area?

Dellboy do you get the bus really early in the morning??

AFAIK the 15 is much more regular and would be a quicker route into town - would be my preference anyway...

foxi_fitzi said:
Thanks my2leftfeet,

See that's exactly what I don't want, as I am soley dependant on public transport, the bus route is vital to my location.

I have begun to realise the hard way!! Dependable bus routes go hand in hand with where you will reside, that is if you rely on the bus (like me) to get you to work etc.

I know that if I can't depend on a locations public transport I will not move there, and on that note I'm asking again, should anyone use the 15 bus route from Knocklyon/Ballycullen location I would really appreciate all your feedback.

Thanks again everyone.

F

Hi,

i live in knocklyon and use the 15 bus route frequently. you would be pretty much guaranteed a seat if you were getting it in the mornings to work, it does fill up but if u get on it in knocklyon u will get a seat (though it is a bit of a walk from ballycullen). During school times the route can suffer from heavy traffic. the route starts on scholarstown road and can sometimes crawl along that during peak times between 8-9. the stops along scholarstown road/knocklyon road are always busy in the morning times. i'd estimate the journey time into the city centre at peak morning time hours to take approx 50 minutes- 1 hour. off peak times are fine, on good days it gets you into town in just over 30 mins. on the flip side, the bus home from town during the week does have its downsides. there's one at 22:10 and then no more until 23:30!

At the risk of stating the obvious, you can get the bus timetables on Dublin Bus's website. This will at least give you the frequency of busses. Of course you are correct to ask about the time taken for bus journeys and how crowded the busses get.

Obviously I have checked up the 15 bus route timetable but in all fairness the Dublin bus timetables and times the Dublin buses actually turn up tend to differ most of the time - always better to get advice from the people who actually use them!

F

<quote>Dellboy do you get the bus really early in the morning??</quote>

Yes Im usually gone by 7 and in in around 30 - 40 mins.

I used to get the 15 but its been about 3 years. However, from what I remember, the 15 would often be full by Templeogue Village at Peak Times. Obviously if you get it from the terminus at Woodfield it would be very handy as it would never be full. An apartment in RosMor View or Garthy Wood would both be very handy for it. If your leaving at around 7.45/8am it would take approx an hour to get into town from the terminus. I have to say I don't remember it ever being too infrequent except at nite. The buses generally are on time.

Question southsideboy:

Sometimes I would need to be in work by half eight, if I was to get the 15X or 15 around 7.25am would I be better off, as it takes an hour to get to town from 7.45am on?

Or would you recommend the 7.15am ish as a safer bet?

Thanks,

F

You say in your initial post that you live near the area at the moment. Is there any way you could do a few dry runs on the 15 route before you decide to start bidding on apartments? At least then you'll have your own experiances to draw on.

I've used the 15 a few times to get to work at rush hour. I found it reliable and there are bus lanes a lot of the way in.

Would you consider a moped? Our neighbour gets in to town in less that 30 mins on his.

foxi fitzi ... yeh i would have thought that 7.25 would leave enough time to get into town by about 8.20 (but as I say its been a good while since I used the 15) . I used to remember that leaving just a few minutes earlier - say 7.30 instead of 7.45 could cut about 15 or 20min off your journey time because you would beat the initial traffic that would build up in Knocklyon and Templeogue Village. Although I would definitely recommend a few trial runs.

Yes I have planned to do trial runs in the coming weeks.

I am just curious and was looking for feedback from regular/current users of the 15 route.

Cheers for reply.

F

foxi_fitzi said:
Yes I have planned to do trial runs in the coming weeks.

I am just curious and was looking for feedback from regular/current users of the 15 route.

Cheers for reply.

F

I would suggest that your trial runs will give you a false impression of the 15 routes as, with the Yummy Mummies and Daddies not having to drop Jessica and Tristan to school, the bus flies into town in the morning. You could compare a couple of runs in August and then see the difference in September. Usually when the schools are back, the journey time is around double...

tallpaul,

double the time seriously, and that's hoping that by double, you are saying the 15 from Knocklyon would take only 25/30mins during the 'schools out' months and 45mins when the Jess's & Tris's are back in school??!! ;o)

Unfortunately, it is usually around 45 minutes from Terenure to St. Stephen's Green during the winter. Add on a bit more for Knocklyon...

I get the 15 every morning. I get it at the stop just outside Superquinn. At the moment I the 15E gets down at 8pm. I work just near Portobello and I get in at 8.35am.

When schools get back I have to get the 7.35 bus and that gets me in at 8.45.

The crossroads at Rathdown motors is a nightmare. At times we could be sitting in the same spot for 15mins !!

Also, the bus is packed by the time it gets to the stop outside the Esso so be warned.

Back