Knocklyon and the M50

Tayman

Hi all,
We are considering purchasing a house in the Knocklyon area.
It seems from the prices of the properties that we've looked at that it seems to be more expensive on the side within the M50. Is there a big difference between living on one side of the M50 than the other?

Also we were wondering about those houses that are close to the M50 (within 200-300 meters) - does the sound of traffic affect quality of life at all?

Thanks.

We are considering purchasing a house in the Knocklyon area.
It seems from the prices of the properties that we've looked at that it seems to be more expensive on the side within the M50. Is there a big difference between living on one side of the M50 than the other?

Hi,

Welcome to AAM.

If you mean would the price of the houses be better in Knocklyon than Tallaght I would think so. Have a look at some on either side of the M50 on Daft or MyHome.

Also we were wondering about those houses that are close to the M50 (within 200-300 meters) - does the sound of traffic affect quality of life at all?

Your best bet to check out the noise from the M50 would be to go into Tymon Park (accessed from the Greenhills Road) and go to the railings near the M50. Move back 200/300 metres and see what you think. I find it quite noisy but not too sure if it would be bad that far back.

I know its not the same, but the noise in Palmerstown Cemetery from the M50 is horrendous. There are houses/apartments overlookling the cemetery and I don't know how they stick the road noise. Distance and noise would be similar along the M50 presumably.

Thanks Sue Ellen,
Rather than Tallaght vs Knocklyon, we are looking at just Knocklyon (as we heard good things about the school there). I know that the school is just inside the M50 but I assume that the school serves all of Knocklyon. I was trying to understand what is causing the price differences - is it just a smaller supply of houses within the M50, or if there are better services and facilities in this half versus the other.

I know its not the same, but the noise in Palmerstown Cemetery from the M50 is horrendous. There are houses/apartments overlookling the cemetery and I don't know how they stick the road noise. Distance and noise would be similar along the M50 presumably.

Thanks Steiner. Having stopped briefly to try to gauge the noise it did seem excessive to me too, but perhaps it is something that someone get used to over time. I did live on the Rock Road in Blackrock for a few years and the sounds didn't register as much after a while, but the M50 might be a different case entirely!

From a noise perspective, if you're close to the M50, probably better to be outside of it, as the wind normally comes from the west and carries the noise with it.

But large parts of Knocklyon are far enough away from the M50 for noise not to be a factor.

if you mean turning right instead of left at the m50 exit, only as far as Woodstown is Dublin 16, the rest is Dublin 24. And that is your difference.

I've lived in Knocklyon on both sides of the M50 so hopefully I can help you. The reality is that on the Firhouse side you will more than likely use the Firhouse/Ballycullen facilities. There are shops in Woodstown Village for the bare necessities if you are living in the part of Knocklyon over the main road but if you are in Castlefield or Glenvara estates, or you want to do a 'big shop' you will have to make the trek back over the M50 to Knocklyon Shopping Centre or go to the Supervalu Shopping Centre in Firhouse or Lidl in Ballycullen. Having said that Firhouse has great facilities, there is a real community spirit there and the schools (primary anyway) are supposed to be great - small and friendly and inclusive. Actually if you were open to changing the area of your search, it would be a great alternative.
I now live in a lovely estate, the address of which is Rathfarnham but in reality it's Knocklyon - 5 minutes walk to Knocklyon Shopping Centre. It's just far enough (about 500m) away from the M50 to experience no noise. I have to say I love this part of the world over and above where I was in Knocklyon at the other side of the M50. It doesn't feel as dissected by roads and hence it's quieter.
I think my advice would be to examine the road noise for each individual house e.g. in Woodstown Village, Beverley or Orlagh Estates some houses will be nearer the M50 than others. Accept that Firhouse facilities will be closer in some parts of Knocklyon and that if you're going to live there and use the facilities in Knocklyon north of the M50 you will be joining the walking bus of women, men, children, bikes, scooters and fluffy dogs I meet walking over the M50 bridge each morning and spending a little bit of time in traffic crossing over and back in a car.
I think that's a fair view. If you have any specific questions, I'll try and answer them.

A lot of people don't realize that part of Knocklyon is on the West side of the M50. The Ballycullen Road is the D16/D24 (Knocklyon/Firhouse) post code divide.

A lot of people also think that Tallaght is all of D24. I wouldn't consider Firhouse to be part of Tallaght. Others would.

I've lived in Knocklyon on both sides of the M50 so hopefully I can help you. The reality is that on the Firhouse side you will more than likely use the Firhouse/Ballycullen facilities. There are shops in Woodstown Village for the bare necessities if you are living in the part of Knocklyon over the main road but if you are in Castlefield or Glenvara estates, or you want to do a 'big shop' you will have to make the trek back over the M50 to Knocklyon Shopping Centre or go to the Supervalu Shopping Centre in Firhouse or Lidl in Ballycullen. Having said that Firhouse has great facilities, there is a real community spirit there and the schools (primary anyway) are supposed to be great - small and friendly and inclusive. Actually if you were open to changing the area of your search, it would be a great alternative.
I now live in a lovely estate, the address of which is Rathfarnham but in reality it's Knocklyon - 5 minutes walk to Knocklyon Shopping Centre. It's just far enough (about 500m) away from the M50 to experience no noise. I have to say I love this part of the world over and above where I was in Knocklyon at the other side of the M50. It doesn't feel as dissected by roads and hence it's quieter.
I think my advice would be to examine the road noise for each individual house e.g. in Woodstown Village, Beverley or Orlagh Estates some houses will be nearer the M50 than others. Accept that Firhouse facilities will be closer in some parts of Knocklyon and that if you're going to live there and use the facilities in Knocklyon north of the M50 you will be joining the walking bus of women, men, children, bikes, scooters and fluffy dogs I meet walking over the M50 bridge each morning and spending a little bit of time in traffic crossing over and back in a car.
I think that's a fair view. If you have any specific questions, I'll try and answer them.
Thanks Elginelf - that gives me a good insight. I think that noise could be a big factor for us, so I guess we'll have to consider each estate seperately as you propose

Just to back this up the school you are thinking of is probally Colmcilles which is an excellent school. I live literally just over the ballycullen road which puts me in D24, my daughters go to Colmcilles just got in but could not get into the secondary. That whole area is really nice, you can use Supervalue, lidl or old superquinn not supervalue in Knocklyon but you are also only 10 mins away from Dundrum, Square or Liffey valley shopping centres. Woodstown is a lovelly estate most of it is a good bit away from M50 - I have a friend who lives in Prospect whose garden backs onto M50 it is a constant noise but I believe they have got used to it.

Back