Kittys on the Road

• Thread starter Wicklow Wome
  • Start date
W

Wicklow Wome

Has anyone got advise on how to keep my darling pet cats of the road. i've tried everything. They know not to go on the road outside my house but instead go next door and make a break for it.................. We live on an extremly busy main road where cars are travel quite fast, last night one of them came within inchs of being killed, it'd break my heart if anything happen so please any tips or advise would be so much appreciated.

i know the obvious is not to let them out but if there was any other way

Thanks.....

Are your cats neutered or spayed or whatever they call it? I heard they are less likely to roam if they are. I'm sure you feed them well, but they maybe on the prowl for food. Short of keeping them indoors or on a long lead outdoors I really cannot offer any other advise.

Could you build a cat run in your garden - can be any size you want, once it has a wire roof to stop them escaping - that way they get to enjoy the great outdoors without endangering themselves.

Or more importantly drivers using the very busy road. You can be held liable if your cat causes an accident on the road, not to mention the guilt of having possible deaths/serious injury caused by your cats.

Sherman said:
You can be held liable if your cat causes an accident on the road, not to mention the guilt of having possible deaths/serious injury caused by your cats.

No way.....really? I thought this might apply to dogs where you are expected to have then under control when out in public places i.e. have them on a lead.

But cats! We have cats and there is no way to keep them in without them eventually swinging out of the curtains.

I don't know if that is correct. I think it stands for cattle/big animals that can damage a car if struck. Unfortunately for the cat, it'll just be squashed under tyre. I dont' think there is any obligation on a cat owner to keep it on a leash (!!!!) or penned it; it's different with dogs and certainly different with cattle, horses etc.

I hit a puppy once (I know I know, I'll start crying again if I think about it too much) on the way to work and couldn't find the house it belonged to. A guy stopped and helped me move him to the kerb and I went off to the Guards to report it in case the owners reproted him missing or something. And to my amazement, I was cautioned. I was too upset to know what the caution was for.

Over the years in my mam's house we had loads of cats and dogs killed on our main road. It's heart breaking. My older cat is afraid of his shadow and won't even go to the front of the house in case he hears a car. The new kitten is going to be a disaster though. I don't think there is anything you can do, it's just in their nature to ramble, although female cats are not supped to be as keen on it as toms and neutered toms definitely stay at home more.

I've seen a wire enclosure for cats at a friend's neighbour's house and it looks mental to me.

Good luck with the kitties and if you find any way to keep the adventurous ones at heel, I'd love to know :)
Rebecca

Sherman said:
Or more importantly drivers using the very busy road. You can be held liable if your cat causes an accident on the road, not to mention the guilt of having possible deaths/serious injury caused by your cats.
How would you be? The rules of the road are clear that you shouldn't serve to avoid hitting animals.

Whatever the rules of the road - i think the natural reaction (whatever about rules or logic) at the time would be to serve hopefully in a safe situation (no cars coming). Thankfully have never yet been tested but i don't know what its actually like when you're in that awful position.

That wasn't what I was getting at, it was more to do with liability. If you swerve for a cat (natural reaction or not), I don't see how the cat's owner is liable. Of course natural reaction is to slam on the brakes or swerve, doesn't mean it's the right reaction as regards what you should do.

All I know is I recently took out Pet Insurance and one of the things you're covered for is if your pet causes an accident and you get sued as a result. Stands to reason that people should be responsible for their animals - if you knowingly allow your cat/dog to stray onto a busy road, you're asking for trouble IMHO.

I don't buy for a minute the argument that cats are some way 'special' compared to dogs and should be given free rein to roam all over the roads. If you're driving along a road and a cat is in your way, you'd have to be extremely self-disciplined (and have extraordinary presence of mind) to run it over rather than succumb to the instinctual reaction to try and avoid it.

Although a wire enclosure may look mad to some people, if its a choice between a mad enclosure and a dead kitty/multi-car pile up, I'd put up with the mad enclosure! Many experts, such as the American Veterinary Medical Association ([broken link removed]) recommend either keeping cats indoors permanently, or giving them a secure outdoor enclosure in which to exercise, and NEVER allowing them to roam freely.

Thanks for all the replies - think i've open a bigger can of worms........

Anyhow anyone have any other method please let me know.

Sherman the major difference between cats and dogs is that you are required by law to keep you dog on a leash/tethered, mainly due to sheep worrying, visciousness etc. So it is a clear breach of the law if your dog is on the road wandering. There is no requirement with regard to cats and that's why I reckon there would be no clear liability on a cat owner whose cat "caused" an accident.

The majority of cats are feral and have no owners, in any case. There are no cat wardens to round up any of these like dog wardens (apart from the charitable organisations that do it for the good of the animal).

Natural reaction doesn't cut it with me. When learning to drive you are taught loads of different methods to ensure you drive with care and they often go against natural reactions (e.g. slamming versus pumping the break). Unfortunately in my own case I had to hit a dog rather than swerve and cause an accident myself. Judging by the amount of roadkill in my area involving foxes and badgers far larger than cats, I'm certainly not alone in going against my "natural reaction".

What is the evidence that cats are actually the cause of "multi-car pile-ups"? There's more to this society than cars and roads - leave the kitties alone and let the drivers do their best not to cause accidents, I say.

Rebecca

As far as I know cats and dogs are regarded differently in the eyes of the law. If you hit a dog you are legally required to report the accident to the gardai, but not if you hit a cat. This is for the very reason that Miss Ribena has cited.

What is the evidence that cats are actually the cause of "multi-car pile-ups"?

I wasn't saying they definitely cause multi car pile ups - I was speaking hypothetically - surely even the possibility that your cat could cause a serious accident should be enough to make you think twice about knowingly putting it in (its own as well as others') harm's way?

There's more to this society than cars and roads - leave the kitties alone and let the drivers do their best not to cause accidents, I say.

Sorry Rebecca, but this is along the lines of the NRA 'guns don't kill people, people do' argument. I refuse to buy it. All well and good that cats are a part of our society, but that is no excuse for allowing them to pose a danger to themselves and to drivers (not to mention the millions of small birds and mammals that domestic cats kill every year). Leave the kitties alone - well, if its natural to allow them wander freely, should we also not neuter them, as neutering them is 'unnatural' and goes against their instinct - should we leave them alone and let humans/society/wildlife deal with the explosion in numbers?

Saying that drivers should do their best to avoid accidents does not make sense - even by doing their best, drivers will not avoid every accident every time. Surely if we can lessen the risk of an accident happening in the first place, we should do so? Also, I would wager a good proportion of the roadkill you see is caused by excessive speed not allowing enough time to swerve, or the animal dashing out 'unseen'.

Sherman the major difference between cats and dogs is that you are required by law to keep you dog on a leash/tethered, mainly due to sheep worrying, visciousness etc.

What about simply keeping your cat out of harm's way out of a sense of concern for your cat and the general public?

There is no requirement with regard to cats and that's why I reckon there would be no clear liability on a cat owner whose cat "caused" an accident.

I beg to differ - regardless of a statutory prohibition on letting your cat roam freely, it would surely be relatively easy to establish causation if it could be proved you knew your cat frequented a busy road and/or had had near misses in the recent past? The insurance I got specifically covers you if for instance your cat/dog scratches/bites a guest in your house for instance - yes you have no control over your cat's natural instinct to scratch/bite if it feels threatened, but you can still be made liable for any damage/injury caused. We cannot just allow cats have free rein and expect motorists to avoid them on roads as best they can.

My point remains - whatever about the legal rights/obligations or otherwise, responsible pet owners DO NOT put their pets and others at risk by allowing them near busy roads. Simple as that.

We have tried to keep our cats indoors at all times because we live near busy roads but we find that impossible to be honest. All summer any door that opened even for a second or a partly open windown and they got out and what a job to get them back because they had never been out and were frightened. There are neighbours dogs both sides and no way would they come back til late at night. What we do now is allow them out when we are there for a ramble out the garden and make sure they are hungry. They seem only too happy to arrive back well before dark for supper!! Ran over and killed a small dog once, was absolutely distract. Called into garda station only to be congratulated!! He said pity more of the strays and wandering dogs weren't killed off as they caused so many accidents! Thats the truth!! Different strokes for different folks and animals maybe? Nearly knocked over a kid goat last night in a busy suburban area of south dublin - that really shock me I can tell you.

Sherman said:
Also, I would wager a good proportion of the roadkill you see is caused by excessive speed not allowing enough time to swerve, or the animal dashing out 'unseen'.

What about simply keeping your cat out of harm's way out of a sense of concern for your cat and the general public?

My point remains - whatever about the legal rights/obligations or otherwise, responsible pet owners DO NOT put their pets and others at risk by allowing them near busy roads. Simple as that.

Your post contradicts itself. When there is a car accident where an animal is killed, the driver is possiblly at fault but where there is a hypothetical pile-up the owner of the animal is liable.

I am a responsible pet owner and a responsible driver. I certainly don't want my cats killed on the road and I don't want to kill anyone else's but accidents happen and we (animals and humans alike) can't all be wrapped up in cotton wool all the time. I guess I'm not a subscriber to the blame and liability society I find we are turning into. Even if every cat is locked up, what can you do with badgers and foxes which definitely outnumber any pets on the the road? Maybe we should cage them up too! It's not like cats want to be on the road all the time anyway, mostly they just want to cross it (or like mine are afraid and never go near it); so their "free rein" shouldn't and, I say doesn't, pose a major road safety threat that warrants their incarcaration.

We all have to make an assessment on where to draw a line between freedom and cautiousness. You apparantely draw yours in a much different place than me but that doesn't neccessarily make me irresponsible anymore than it makes you paranoid.

In fairness, my cats have no appreciation for the lenghts I go to to secure their freedom :)

Rebecca

I don't see how my post contradicts itself - the roadkill you see is as a result of a car meeting a wild animal, over which we have no control. No matter how 'wild' we think a pet cat is, it is still to some extent in our control. Therefore we have a duty to protect it, road users, and the general public from avoidable danger. If you keep your cats off the road, you can guarantee they will not be involved in an 'accident' on the road. Simple.

Anyway, as you say, its up to each of us to assess the perceived level of risk and act accordingly according to their levels of irresponsibility and/or paranoia ;)

Hi Wicklow Wome
We've had quite a few cats ... and like you, have had to remove them from the road. I would be interested to hear of any success you have in keeping one. Our last kitten was abducted by a weasel ... we actually saw him running away with the kitten in his mouth. We now have two fish ... who have not been run over yet!
Good luck,

"We now have two fish ... who have not been run over yet"

But might be if you get another cat :D

Back