Kitchen Extension Cost

U

Ubik

We are looking at getting our kitchen extended and wondered what our budget of 40k would cover and would it be enough for the following:

Single story 40m (The max before planning permission is needed)
basically knocking down one wall and extending out by three walls, with a support I presume?
Nothing fancy, no heated flooring etc
painted and finished to blend in with the house
I have seen reference to build quality, what is meant exactly by that?
Obviously we want a good job doing that is going to last.
The only special bit would be an area created by plasterboard for a utility room.
The kitchen would be from ikea or similiar cheap model
2 sides and the roof would probably need a lot of glass to allow light, but one side would be against a neighbouring wall so probably all brick.
Double doors to access garden

I've seen people like Dermot Bannon mentioned, would they bother with this or be too expensive. I want to use an architect as they would offer the best ideas hopefully for the space

Excuse me if I havent mentioned something but I really have no idea how all this works. This will be a big project for us, so I want to get right as the result will affect us for years.
So any useful information you have would be very welcome

thanks

I dont think you will get a quality finish on a 40m2 (Thats a monster kitchen by the way) extension for €40k.

Costs involved:
Structural Engineer
Architect
Groundworks
Blocklaying
Roofing
Windows & Doors
Velux Windows
Plastering
Insulation
Wiring
Plumbing
Kitchen
Kitchen Appliances
Taps
Tiling
Painting
Second Fix Carpentry

Build quality is what you will lose out on by skimping on costs. It refers to the quality of the workmanship and unfortunately good price and good quality do not always go hand in hand.

Talk to an architect. Get a plan. Get prices from a few reputable builders. Look very closely at what is and what is NOT included in the price. Make sure they specify what type of materials are being used (insulation, slates, glazing etc.) Get references and CHECK them.

Thanks for that.
Its actually not just a kitchen ext, its to be an open plan kitchen\diner\playroom\tv lounge!

I guess thats part of why you need an architect. For his ideas and expertise and to listen to your needs and then advise accordingly. We may not need all that space, especially as its 40m PLUS what we already have.(5.35m x 3.30m). We just naturally went to the max, but thinking about it now, theres probably a better way of getting the extra space we want and getting a quality build.

So next question, recommended architects suitable for this kind of small domestic job?

thanks

Tons of architects out there and not a few lurking on AAM.

As regards costs, depending on the construction you should do it for between €85 and €100 a square foot.

The outside numbers will range from a suspicious low of €65/sq.ft. and a mad high of €120/sq.ft.-150/sq.ft.-plus.

So your range at 40 sq.m. [~430.sq.ft.] is approximately €27,950 to €64,500 broken down as follows; -
Very low [€65/sq.ft.] = €27,950

Tight [€85/sq.ft.] = €36,550

Good Finish [€100/sq.ft.] = €43,000

Silly Money [€120-150 plus] = €51,600 - €64.500

Expect fees to be in the 10% range - the bigger the job, the lower the percentage fee usually.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Hi Onq,

Are those costings for a "builders finish" only or would they cover a standard kitchen etc?

Thanks
F

Many thanks for that onq, exactly what I was looking for.

It seems the choice of architect is just as important as the choice of builder.
What sort of questions should I be asking?
Some builders such as Rival Construction
(Who we will be askign a quote from, so any feedback about them would be great) also offer an in house architect's services. How does that work, would they be impatial (if thats important?)

many thanks

I dont think Dermot Bannon would get out of bed for a budget like that!

I dont think Dermot Bannon would get out of bed for a budget like that!

Well I could go on about how thats part of the problem with this country. And how some people may not have realised that the glory over-pricing days are over.
To me, 40k is an awful lot of money, especially when you consider the banks just arent lending (believe me I've tried)
But that would take it off topic and I'm just looking for advice to spend my miserley 40k!

As you can spend €20k on a kitchen alone its a case of how long is a piece of string.

As always Total Cost = Total cost of putting into the build the finish that you want

This may sound unhelpful but it is reality as no two extensions are identical unless on the same house on the same ground type laid out and finished exactly the same.

A simple thing like tiles can send the cost per ft2 mad. An antislp rated tile can cost 5 times the price of a standard ceramic off the shelf budget foor tile, 40m2 of tiles can show up a hugh difference in the ft2 cost as a result.

You should sit down and cost/budget against each finish you want in order to give you a better idea.

In relation to the Dermot Bannon and others generally be careful with budgets as you will see from the programme that they never get the money costs very right......this is the same in practice

best of luck with your project

Hi Ubik,

Just read your post and it is exactly the same position that i myself am in. We are also based in Meath (Bettystown) and plan on getting rear extension of roughly 30 / 35 m2 done this summer.
I don't want to spend good money on an architect for a job this size when no planning will be required and we already know what we want regarding layout , design etc.
I had a look at the rival construction website and they do look like what i need.
I will let you know what other companies / private builders i am getting in for quotes.
Would you be so kind as to let me know what other companies / private builders you are looking at.
We may even use the same company and get a discount !!!

Thanks
Wobbie

Ubik, totally agree. Was trying to do kitchen extension myself 3 yrs ago, same concept, push out back wall but only by 6' and 16' long. Got quote for 30k just to take out back wall & put up new walls and roof, no actual kitchen, heating, painting or anything else included, just walls, windows & roof. Needless to say I have no new kitchen!

Hi Onq,

Are those costings for a "builders finish" only or would they cover a standard kitchen etc?

Thanks
F

We costed a house in the dublin area for that kind of money.

Its swings and roundabouts - the foundations do more work on a house but the marrying in of the extension and the propping and beams and modifying the services all cost a relative fortune.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Ubik, totally agree. Was trying to do kitchen extension myself 3 yrs ago, same concept, push out back wall but only by 6' and 16' long. Got quote for 30k just to take out back wall & put up new walls and roof, no actual kitchen, heating, painting or anything else included, just walls, windows & roof. Needless to say I have no new kitchen!

I presume your costs was builders work only - that was 2007.

You might be pleasantly surprised at current prices.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

Hi Ubik,

Just read your post and it is exactly the same position that i myself am in. We are also based in Meath (Bettystown) and plan on getting rear extension of roughly 30 / 35 m2 done this summer.
I don't want to spend good money on an architect for a job this size when no planning will be required and we already know what we want regarding layout , design etc.
I had a look at the rival construction website and they do look like what i need.
I will let you know what other companies / private builders i am getting in for quotes.
Would you be so kind as to let me know what other companies / private builders you are looking at.
We may even use the same company and get a discount !!!

Thanks
Wobbie

Wobbie,

All I can say is you won't know what you're missing, but if you're certain you're up to this without a professional representative, go ahead.

Who's authorising the draw down in money from the financier?
Who's issuing compliance certificates for the completed work?

An engineer is limited by the terms of his PI cover to structural matters only.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

Well I could go on about how thats part of the problem with this country. And how some people may not have realised that the glory over-pricing days are over.
To me, 40k is an awful lot of money, especially when you consider the banks just arent lending (believe me I've tried)
But that would take it off topic and I'm just looking for advice to spend my miserley 40k!

I know its a lot of money to get together without a loan.
I'm told Ulster Bank are lending again and you might want to give them a call.
€40K isn't a lot of money for a 400 sq.ft extension - that works out at €100 per sq.ft .
€80-100 per sq.ft was the range I suggested would be achievable.
That is way low compared to 2005-2007 levels when €150-200 per sq.ft was the norm.
See my other reply.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

Many thanks for that onq, exactly what I was looking for.

It seems the choice of architect is just as important as the choice of builder.
What sort of questions should I be asking?
Some builders such as Rival Construction
(Who we will be askign a quote from, so any feedback about them would be great) also offer an in house architect's services. How does that work, would they be impatial (if thats important?)

many thanks

Hi Ubik

I cannot recommend in-house services for small works in the present climate, nor should architects or indeed engineers be offering themselves tied to builders.

The most a builder should do is offer you names for consideration of three architect's he's worked with before for you to consider, but this is all backwards.

Here are the reasons for my comments.

Disputes often arise during the build and after, in relation to a whole variety of things.

An architect is retained by you as an independent professional to look after your interests in the sense that he insures matters proceed competently and in a timely manner and all payments are vetted.

While the architect must act impartially in the administration of the contract, its more than likely he will be spending a lot of his time pressing the builder

- to complete in a timely manner,

- to attain a prescribed standard in the built work

As well as resisting overpayment for work done at any point in the programme.

If your architect fails in these duties you will end up paying loads for "extras", to a mediocre standard.

I know nothing about Rival Construction.

In relation to question to ask your architect read this Key Post.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=131450

In relation to general matters on self build you could read this post.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=126261

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

Onq - yes I know I would probably get better quote now but the redundancy fairy has visited and I cant take a chance on spending money I might need to live on.

I remember at the time I told the builder come back when he was hungrier.

Hi Ubik

I cannot recommend in-house services for small works in the present climate, nor should architects or indeed engineers be offering themselves tied to builders.

The most a builder should do is offer you names for consideration of three architect's he's worked with before for you to consider, but this is all backwards.

Here are the reasons for my comments.

Disputes often arise during the build and after, in relation to a whole variety of things.

An architect is retained by you as an independent professional to look after your interests in the sense that he insures matters proceed competently and in a timely manner and all payments are vetted.

While the architect must act impartially in the administration of the contract, its more than likely he will be spending a lot of his time pressing the builder

- to complete in a timely manner,

- to attain a prescribed standard in the built work

As well as resisting overpayment for work done at any point in the programme.

If your architect fails in these duties you will end up paying loads for "extras", to a mediocre standard.

I know nothing about Rival Construction.

In relation to question to ask your architect read this Key Post.

In relation to general matters on self build you could read this post.

ONQ.

Wow, that is a fantastic reply ONQ, thank you very much. (as are all your replies)
I absolutely intend on using an architect. I have no problem paying for quality work, especially as it has to last for years, its just getting the right balance of money to finish. Obviously, with getting a certificate etc, you would expect even on a low or medium finish, the structure to be safe and lasting. I think thats what most people are afraid of when getting building work done. Apart from the kitchen, it will be a "shell" for a while whilst we then save up to furnish and finish it.
Talking to friends, the first thing they say is "Oh I wish we had got an architect in, as it didnt quite turn out the way we thought it would!"
You've put my mind at rest that we can achieve the build we want within our budget if we shop around and do the research properly, so thanks for that.
We hope to get it all kicked off when the summer school holidays start to minimise disruption, so by doing the research now, we should have everything arranaged before that.

Thanks again, your a top bloke!

Back