Kindle Fire

Eithneangela

I bought my hubby an Amazon Kindle Fire in the UK (son lives there, I got it delivered to him by Amazon). Now, we can't set up a process to buy stuff because the it will only cater for credit cards in the UK. Has anybody got around this?

Bad news I'm afraid. Kindle Fire is geo-restricted for much of its functionality - particularly buying apps and other media. Currently only those with UK or US addresses and credit cards have full access. This is where a little research would have been of benefit. You should however be able to 'sideload' content such as books, movies and music using a computer but not apps.

Two options: wait until Amazon sorts out rights restrictions which it will eventually do as in the case of the original Kindle or root the device. This is not difficult but some tech knowledge would be an advantage. It will remove all references to Amazon off the device and give you a stock version of Android with no restrictions. Some would say that this is pereferable in any event.

My understanding is that the Kindle Fire is a device best suited for the consumption of content bought from amazon. It has a highly customised version of android.

Not much consolation to the OP, but the Nexus is a better option. And, with experience of both, I believe the Kindle app on any tablet is significantly inferior to a Kindle e-reader.

Not much consolation to the OP, but the Nexus is a better option. And, with experience of both, I believe the Kindle app on any tablet is significantly inferior to a Kindle e-reader.

What tablet are you using?

I bought my hubby an Amazon Kindle Fire in the UK (son lives there, I got it delivered to him by Amazon). Now, we can't set up a process to buy stuff because the it will only cater for credit cards in the UK. Has anybody got around this?

There is a "get around" for the georestrictions on apple products, not sure if the same would work with Amazon, but involves buying vouchers and setting up a different account.

In principle you could set up an account using a UK address (say your son's), then via the existing Irish account you could purchase sterling gift vouchers and redeem them using the new uk account. I know this works for apple products, but not sure about Amazon.

The only issue would be that if you have existing kindle books associated with the Irish Account, then you won't have access to these under the new account.

Thanks for all the replies - I think the easiest solution is to set up some sort of a xxx.co.uk account through my son and use that as the driver for purchases etc. Funnily enough, my son set up the initial account with his credit details, I edited that to hubby's credit card details, and we've been able to purchase books, but not music! Now, I'm kind of cross with myself that I fell for an Amazon Flash sale on the Kindle Fire - cos the Cloud storage is very limited, both for books and music, and the memory storage is only 8GB - also, the battery only has 8 hours life! I suppose it will be an Xmas present to remember!

Bought Kindle Fire HD 16 GB for my son on my own Cr card from Amazon and had it delivered to a friends address in N Ireland. Done this type of thing before with Amazon. No problems. Delivered in 5 days. Amazon would not deliver this article to the Republic

Back