Kindle DX?

askalot

I am thinking of ordering a Kindle DX from Amazon, I would love to hear from anyone that has used one.

The hefty enough price tag of 489 dollars is one thing but what duty will I have to pay on delivery?

Why this and not an iPad ?

anyway - from amazon (under the Country specific linky !!!)

Ireland

We are excited to now ship Kindle DX to Ireland. Customers in Ireland will enjoy:

Books in Under 60 Seconds: Think of a book and you could be reading it in under a minute

Free Wireless: Free 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle. No monthly fees, service plans, or hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots. For non-U.S. customers, there are also no additional charges for wireless delivery in or outside your home country. See Coverage Map. See Wireless Terms and Conditions

Growing Selection: Over 370,000 English-language books to choose from; plus U.S. and international newspapers and magazines are available for your country. Because publishers give us eBook rights on a country by country basis, available titles for your country will vary from our current U.S selection. We are actively working with publishers to get the rights to all titles for every country and adding this selection every day. Check the Kindle Store to see available titles.

Low Book Prices: New York Times® Best Sellers and New Releases are $11.99 to $13.99 (prices include VAT), unless marked otherwise. You'll also find many books for less - over 95,000 titles are priced under $5.99

Learn more about Kindle features on the Kindle product page

Important Product Information for Your Country
  • Your international shipment is subject to VAT. This is the same VAT rate you pay when you buy products in your country. There are NO customs duties or any other fees. We will show you the estimated VAT upon checkout. Learn more
  • Kindle ships with a U.S. power adapter and a micro-USB cable for charging your Kindle via a computer USB port. The U.S. power adapter supports voltages between 100V - 240V.
  • You can transfer personal documents to your Kindle via USB for free at anytime. Service fees for transferring personal documents via Whispernet are currently $.99 per megabyte. Learn more
  • Wireless download times can vary based on 3G or EDGE/GPRS coverage, signal strength and file size.
  • Kindle books, newspapers, and magazines are currently priced and sold in United States dollars
  • Blogs and the experimental web browser are currently not available for your country. You will have free access to Wikipedia.
  • Kindle includes a 1-year limited warranty. See details
  • Use of the Kindle is subject to the Kindle License Agreement and Terms of Use

Thanks for the info - don't know how I missed that!

Why this and not an iPad ?

A few reasons.

For reading a book I prefer e-ink to the iPad's bright LED also the iPad's weight would make every book feel like War and Peace combined with Lord of the Rings!

Amazon have a much wider selection of ebooks though it is early days for the iBook store. Certainly Amazon have a better range of prices.

With regards to selection of books, there is Amazon Kindle app for iPad.

Back