Kindle 4 reader query?

Thanks for that cormster1 and putsch!

I'm sold on 3G!

Notwithstanding the opinions of cormster1 and putsch, I cannot see the advantage of 3G on a Kindle when you've access to wifi :confused: ? I know what book I'm reading now and have a fair idea of what one I'll read next. When I get near the end of the current one, I'll line up the next one. I won't start to think about it as I finish the last page of the current and start to get anxious cos I've no book to start reading straight away.

It's a 'nice-to-have', but there are surely better uses for your money ?

Back on message, I see PC World are now selling the Kindle in-store, so we are not limited to buying online vis the USA.

While it's running on Android, it's Amazon's own developed Android.

That's a good, and relevant, point. The version of android, that is the basis for the OS on the Fire, is already behind the latest version and, based on what I've read, will not be updateable/upgradeable. So while android will continue to improve as an OS choice, the Fire will remain as-is.

That's a good, and relevant, point. The version of android, that is the basis for the OS on the Fire, is already behind the latest version and, based on what I've read, will not be updateable/upgradeable. So while android will continue to improve as an OS choice, the Fire will remain as-is.

It was and is telling how many times during the launch they mentioned Android: zero.

I don't see that as a big issue though, they're clear this is an Amazon version and it's pretty different under the hood, modified for what Amazon wants. But it needs to be clear this isn't an "android" device and it won't be an Android Marketplace device either. It's a stand alone Amazon services device.

Thanks for that input, very interesting information Latrade. And also Tarfhead, the note on it selling in PC World which is great and the state the obvious on 3G. No need to get it.

After all that information I understand the device totally now and it is not what I originally thought it was behind all the fluff advertising. Patience is a virtue and thus, in the interim, the reader only. Thanks

I tried to order the following:

• http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Touch-e-Reader-Touch-Screen-3G-Special-Offers/dp/B005890G8O/ref=pd_luc_sim_01_01_t_lh (Kindle Touch 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display) is not currently available to ship to the selected non-US address. To shop for Kindles available to ship to you, please visit the non-US Kindle product page.

• http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Touch-Lighted-Leather-Cover/dp/B004SD2562/ref=lh_ni_t (Kindle Touch Lighted Leather Cover, Black) cannot be shipped to the selected address.

but wasn't allowed.

It redirected me to this product:

Kindle, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - for international shipment

which is not what I want.

1. What precise one did people order from the US? and
  2. Are we precluded from pre-ordering any Kindle 4 product because we live outside the US? (Note - I haven't tried pre-ordering the Kindle Fire - it wasn't what I wanted - I might go through the motions of ordering it to see what will happens) - Edit: I tried to order it and I wasn't allowed buy it because of my non-US address

Hi Paddy, I found myself in the same predicament when I tried to order the Kindle touch, not available yet for us. Emailed amazon and they said only .com can post to us so that was co.uk out of the question but it isn't available in the uk yet so it was irrelevant. They said"
Currently, we do not have any information about Kindle Touch launch and availability on the Amazon.co.uk website, so unfortunately I have no further information available at this time.
Kindle Touch is currently only available from Amazon.com to U.S. residents. We hope to make new Kindles available to more locations in the future."
Only get the older version for now, no touch available. As I say, patience, unfortunately!

Hi all
Thanks to theses posts I have decided against the fire and to go for the reader with WiFi & 3G
My only other question is whether to go for a touch screen or a keyboard – any thoughts?
Thanks

Hi all
Thanks to theses posts I have decided against the fire and to go for the reader with WiFi & 3G. My only other question is whether to go for a touch screen or a keyboard – any thoughts?
Thanks

The principal advantage of the keyboard is for making notes, e.g. annotations.

How can you search for an author or specific book without a keyboard?

My Kindle does have one and I use for looking for books by specific authors.

Tried ordering the kindle touch with wifi + 3G today from amazon.com, but they won't deliver to an Irish address!!! I wanted the one with 3G so I could download books when not in wifi areas or when on holidays ~ but I think I will have to wait a few months beofre it is available in Ireland!

Back