Killing of weeds and Sowing new grass

Newbie!

Hi, Just been reading the old threads on sowing a new lawn and want to double check that I'm getting this right. We have an old lawn - mainly weeds now. If we put down weedkiller now, is it reasonable to give it about 6-7 weeks before we take out the stones and rotavate it? We'd be sowing the grass around mid march. Does this sound like a fair timeline?

It probably depends on the actuall weed killer you are going to use.
Read the directions firstly anyway.
If you are going to use "Roundup" - this timeline is enough afaik!

If we put down weedkiller now, is it reasonable to give it about 6-7 weeks before we take out the stones and rotavate it? We'd be sowing the grass around mid march. Does this sound like a fair timeline?

Its a bit early to be applying roundup herbicide at the moment, as you may get an incomplete kill on the vegetation you wish to remove.
Have a look at this article [broken link removed] which is helpful in explaining the time-lines of lawn creation.

I read something that the best way, though timeconsuming, is to cover the lawn with plastic sheeting for about six months.
It's cheap and non-toxic.

I covered my lawn in the early Autumn, will be tackling it after March, should know then.

I read something that the best way, though timeconsuming, is to cover the lawn with plastic sheeting for about six months.
It's cheap and non-toxic.

I covered my lawn in the early Autumn, will be tackling it after March, should know then.

I think this is sound advice, and if any stray weeds pop their heads a quick spray of Weedol will see them down.

Have used roundup twice over the past 5 weeks. Against recommended use as should only be used when theres active growth. It took much longer to do the job (as in a couple of weeks) but it is doing the job.

The sheeting would certainly be a greener solution but there will still be weeds coming through as won't kill off root systems in some cases whereas roundup is systemic.

Back