Kildare to Dublin Irish Rail Point to Point ticket

AndroidMan

I need to go up to Dublin a few times a week for the next month or so and am weighing up the costs via various routes.

There is a "point to point" ticket including the "feeder services" available that takes me to Heuston and then allows me to use the Luas, bus 90 or 145 to get to the "city centre"

I used to be in Dublin very regularly and this "point to point" ticket got me to Stephens Green via either tram or the 145, but I am told it is only valid to Connolly.

Has something changed here or am I being misinformed?
I called Irish Rail but they could not help.

Nothing has changed, that was actually always the case, it was simply drivers turning a blind eye. You're probably better off getting a leap card and only getting the ticket to Heuston.

I dont think its a blind eye - I got my ticket checked by inspectors on the Luas on occasions while I was in the Stephens Green vicinity and that was always fine, so it certainly was a valid route before.

I was a regular on trains for quite an extended period of time (alas no more), sometimes I was in Dublin a lot and it was better value to get a season ticket but I bought plenty of daily point to points too. It has been ticket to Connolly since 2015 at the very least I think because I recall querying it about then when I was told that it wasn't valid for my journey to Stephen's Green, they let me away with it but I had never actually been challenged on it before that.

Irrespective, my point stands, you're better off getting a Leap card. If by "Kildare" you mean Sallins & Naas or Hazelhatch & Celbridge you can use the Leapcard from that station which would also mean you would get the benefit of the daily cap of €7.60. If you mean Kildare/Monasterevin/Athy you'll still need to get the point to point ticket but get it to Heuston and use the Leap from there.

I changed over to cycling or walking from Heuston. I never bothered trying to get a bike at Heuston though, head up the hill to James' St and cycle from there, quieter route than the quays.

Sorry.. my point is what is the meaning of "point to point" for the "city centre"
Is it just to Connolly or is it (as it used to be) also up to Stephens Green on the Luas or 145 bus.

I have done the maths on what suits me best and for cost and timing from Kildare, the train and Luas/bus seems the way to go.

Its cheaper to get this P2P ticket so long as it will get me to Stephens Green rather than the Kildare to Heuston and then the Luas separetely.

As they have said, it is valid to Connolly, on the 145 it is valid to O'Connell Bridge.

Back