Kicked out of Gloria Jeans

Re: no buggy policy

Piggy

"Dear patron,
As our premises are small space is of utmost importance........

I like it! there's a maxim in marketing that says "if you can't fix it feature it" .. this is an excellent of that in action.

Nat

If I owned a cafe which was small and where prams and buggys caused an obstruction, but passing business took in parents with said equipment, I'd put up a sign on my front door along the following lines...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Dear patron,
As our premises are small space is of utmost importance to us and to you. We value your custom every bit as much as the next persons. If you have on your person any item which might cause obstruction, such as a pram, buggy or large bag/case, please see if you can divulge yourself of the offending item before coming inside. If you cannot we will do everything we can to accomodate you but might ask you to be moved to another location if the need exists. Thank you for your patience and enjoy your food"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Piggy - I'd run that notice through a spell/grammar checker before posting it if I was you! :)

Have we not all been out shopping on the weekend, pop into a sit-down establishment, longing for a seat and some langers have spread all their worldly possesions, prams, and ankle-biters hither and yon? Much as everyone wishes Dublin to be more like Berlin, the [broken link removed] here force owners to create unwelcoming environments for economic reasons.

Casual was clear about the pram/space continiuum, but one (pram) in means all prams in. And the circling of the seat vultures begins anew. At €2.55 for a double espresso, I, for one, demand a seat. If the management wants my lot to frequent their shop on weekdays, they had better well cater to me on weekends, too. Loss of that custom is 5X greater than the weekend pram-pushers.If the rent costs were reasonable, this thread would never have been started.

Location, location, location.

"If the rent costs were reasonable, this thread would never have been started."

I somehow don't think so. If we kicked up more about the poor quality of services in this country, things might actually improve. The problem is, people are very happy to accept crap and return again.

Piggy - I'd run that notice through a spell/grammar checker before posting it if I was you!

If you're going to be pedantic ....that should be "if I were you"

Piggy - I'd run that notice through a spell/grammar checker before posting it if I was you!

Seeing as no one will read it anyway it might not matter ;)

It might be legal to bar prams and buggies from premises, but that doesn't make it always right to do so. We should recognise that and fight this sort of treatment where we find it.
And they will simply refer you to their sign
'Management reserve the right of admission'. My solution either way is simple. If they don't like your custom, don't give it. If you like the idea then go back.

some langers have spread all their worldly possesions, prams, and ankle-biters hither and yon...
@Max: the most offensive and inconsiderate langers I've come across in restaurants, pubs, cafés etc have tended to be of the 'gilded youth' variety, whose braying 'omigod' conversations are matched in the irritation stakes only by the incessant jangling of their poxyphonic ringtones...

If my kids ever behaved like that I'd wallop 'em! ;)

If they don't like your custom, don't give it.
Exactly. Unfortunately these miscreants are also entitled to use public transport, etc...

In another few years they'll probably be sitting in my kitchen, drinking my coffee, and giving me smart answers...! :eek

Grumpy ol' Dr. M.

If the rent costs were reasonable, this thread would never have been started.
This is absolutely correct. The mangler is on to the servers to turn over their covers and generate more revenue that is required to pay the b****y rent. Shoppers with prams occupy significant real estate without generating revenue.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Tourist beauty (traps) aside, when has anyone felt pressurised in a continental establishment to shove off? The premises generally are large enough to handle tables full of 'gilded youths' sipping Fanta or coffee for hours. Anyone know of a foodservice city centre establishment like that in Ireland?<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->A year ago August last, I was in a lovely Sandycove pub that features a bird of prey in it's name. No garden but generous premises. In wander 9 Spanish leaving students. Not knowing the daytime custom of ordering firsts at the bar, they occupied the majority of one alcove's cosy. Moments later a waitress strolls up to the table and hearing them speak began to roll her eyes. They ordered 3 colas, a coffee, and a lemonade. Notice no spirits, as per their midday summer custom in Madrid (I coaxed up some old Spanish and asked where they were from '¿Donde eres?'). They sat, sipped, smoked, and chatted about Dun Laoghaire through my two quiet pints. The now barmaid (lunches were off) returned to the tables a minimum of 7 times and acting as if she was experiencing cardiac arrest.

Thanks all for your replies, while I didn’t expect such a response I may need to clarify some points. Our baby is 8 weeks old and was asleep at the time, so there was no running and screaming.

I must admit in my youth I always found screaming children terribly frustrating and especially when they are next to you on the train. But now the shoe is very much on the other foot and bearing in mind a potential confrontation, I make the effort to be as subtle as possible.

Lets not forget we were all children once!

At the event on question, there was no sign outside the shop preventing buggies, prams, children or anything of the sort. If there was, we would not have entered. My point was that we were to succumb an embarrassing situation which should not have happened.

Oysterman – I agree that life goes on, this sort of thing I would normally take on the chin, but it upset my wife to the point of tears afterwards, and that is more important.

Coffee Lover

Hi coffee lover,

Congratulations on your new baby. It really is a great time!

We found the period up to about 3mo ideal for getting out and about. After about 3mo all this ends!

We use a britax 3in1 which has a rock-a-tot car seat. Baby can be carried in the rock-a-tot into resturants and cafés and the r-a-t placed on the floor, we never had any bother with this. Especialy now with the smoking ban babies can be taken almost any where. We notice lots of other parents doing the same.

We never really used a pram and only used the buggy component as Baby got older.

Have you visited www.rollercoaster.ie/ ? Its a very usefull site.

ajapale

I was thinking about this thread while having a little lunch in a smallish local coffee shop with my daughter in her buggy. I know that I caused minor inconvenience to some staff & customers as they had to choose a different route round the tables. But I don't believe I cost them any business - Indees, I may even have given some enjoyment to a few customers if their smiles and chit-chat can be taken at face value.

I'd guess that it is more of a market positioning thing - GJ's want the young singles market, not the mother/toddler market.

I was thinking about this thread while having a little lunch in a smallish local coffee shop with my daughter in her buggy.

Must've been a bit of a squeeze!

Back