Key Post: Wine for a wedding.

The Punter - thats brillant value! Do you know what kind of bottle it was? and where abouts in belfast did you get it? Sure your not talking 5.50 sterling? and do they deliver? You have just made my day.

kildarebuild said:
Wolf Blass - has anyone ever brought this wine at a good value. tried going to the source which is australia (ppphhfft) they do not seem to sell it online. So the only way is buy online in ireland or buy in the north still too fecking much

We had Wolf Blass for our wedding last year. We got it in Tesco while they were having one of their regular "20% off Australian wine" promotions. It worked out at about €7 per bottle.

O'Brien's off-licences do 10% off any wine over 12 bottles. And I'm sure they would do an even better discount if you are supplying a wedding. They may also do drink-or-return. Every weekend they also have extra discounts (20% I think, but don't quote me on it) on wines from featured countries. That campaign runs through the summer, and you can check in your nearest shop to see when the country of your choice is next being featured

Check with the hotel to ensure that with bringing your own wine the corkage charge doesn't increase!!

emul said:
Check with the hotel to ensure that with bringing your own wine the corkage charge doesn't increase!!

Corkage is the charge levied by the hotel for bringing in your own wine....

By the way most hotels will negotiate this. We got ours down from €10 to €8 per bottle.

Most hotels charge more for Champagne... as we used sparkling NZ fizz, we were able to argue that it was wine & therefore paid the same corkage charge for everything... €5 a bottle!

If you know anyone in the retails sector see if they could utilise a cash and carry for you.
Alternatively I've used a wine merchant up Cavan way that had some really good deals, last time we were just having a looksee and got about 10 bottles for aroudn the Eu75 mark. He imports from france so a lot of his wines might not be the recognised brands from our supermarkets, but a lot of them were very good quality. (PM me if you are interested and I'll get his number)
Why not try a farmers market, we've recently picked up some nice organic wines at our local market (held in Sonairte eco centre in Julianstown), they may be a little more expensive, but they are really nice and a little bit different.

Back