Key Post: Windows - uPVC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better longivity on wooden windows

Hi again,

Your question prompted me into ringing the Scandinavian windows company in question and ask a few more questions myself - as I found the longevity thing a bit of a mystery to be honest.

Anyway, here’s something along the lines of their response. First off their windows are imported from Scandinavia where they are designed to withstand harsher climatic conditions to those experienced in Ireland. The timber used during the manucaturing of the windows is a "grade 1" hard wood timber (supposedly the best). This timber is treated with a preservative before it is painted using a water-based paint (which I'm told is tougher than the typical oil based paints that are sometimes used for exterior windows which wont discolour over time). The windows themselves don’t have any exterior rubber seals typically found on PVC, which over a few years becomes hardened in the sun and eventually breaks down resulting in condensation building up between the panes. Also all their windows and doors come with a 10-year guarantee. They also mentioned that the finish looks far superior to that of PVC and as a result will add more value to a property.

Hope that helps a bit – I’m very happy with the service so far and hope to have them installing the windows within the month.

wooden windows

When I was building my house my wife insisted on wooden windows much to my dispair. I tried getting quotes from Marvin windows and Rationel and found both of them to be a shower of chancers. Their windows are nice looking but be prepared for crap service and 3 to times the price of pvc.

We got pvc in the end :)

Re: Windows - uPVC

DOBBER22 - I see the point you are making about plastic outlasting wood, that goes without saying - but I think in the case of a window other factors come into play when determining the longevity of the entire structure. As I mentioned, seals leaking, discolouration, condensation. It's problems like that that eventually make people replace windows - well they are my reasons anyway.

just my 2 cents, I'm not an expert.

Windows uPVC

Hello

Does anybody have any experience of bonner windows www.bonnerwindows.com. I got a quote from them and there price is competitive and they appear to be good value, fully welded, internally beaded, and with K glass.

Any comments greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

timber window frames

Hi. Anyone know who is offering the best deals on timber sash windows in the Dublin area. Marvin seems pricey.

Some other posts

eamonn66
double glazing - 3 bed semi

does anyone know the approximate cost of getting standard (cheap) double glazing put into a 3-bed semi

Monkey0804
Re: double glazing - 3 bed semi

Window replacements going in today. Cost of 10 large windows (from almost cheapest but most reliable quote) is 7200 odd.

eamonn66
thanks

thanks

extopia
Frequent poster
Re: thanks

Not a great price. You'd do timber for not very much more if you price around aggressively. And you wouldn't have to live with that tacky PVC.

It's a pity that PVC is now seen as "standard." There's nothing natural about it.

Monkey0804
Re: thanks

I'd whole heartedly agree timber looks better, and the price would come in the same more or less. But what put me (and I'm sure others off) is the maintenance. Whatever about now when we are (relatively) young, spending a week sanding and varnishing windows top and bottom, I just couldn't see it when we're 60/70/80 and more infirm.

The best solution I've seen is Marvin windows - wooden windows, with aluminum coating on outside. They look fantastic. If it weren't 4 times more expensive it would be the best option.

Each to their own.

Cassidy
double glazing- 3 bed semi

I got 8 windows, three of which were bay and French doors for the front and it cost €4,900.00. The company also built a double step for €40.00.
The company I got it from are based in Kildare and will travel. The only down side is that they take a while but they do a brillant job. If you are interested I could rummage out their number, they don't have a company name neither do they advertise.I got them through a recommendation from a friend.

ghent
Cost of double glazing

I broke a patio door window which is double glazed. How much would it cost to replace ? Is it easy to do yourself ? Or will a glazier come to my house to measure and fit ? Any suggestions southside please ?

patiodoor
patio door

We had a problem a while ago with our aluminium back door and this guy was recommended to us:

John Delahunt Phone 4527934 or 086-8728521.

He was reasonable, arrived on time as arranged and did good/neat work.

As far as I know it is quite hard to get someone to do just repairs. From watching him do the repair on our door I would not attempt it myself - bloody awful job.

You could always give him a call and have a chat about price.

gerry
Frequent poster
Re: patio door

[broken link removed]

Sally
Patio door

This guy came highly recommended to me, I got him to do a new front door plus repairs to my patio door before. He was very reliable, excellent job done and not too expensive. His details are:- Steve from Micron Aluminium on 086 2713239 or 4627426 evenings.

Re: >>Windows - uPVC/wooden

Anyone any views on xxxxx xxxxxxx?. Im getting an extension my builder is using these guys . Ive heard varying reports.

Re: >>Windows - uPVC

K glass or low e glass, what is the difference between them if any. I received quotes for new windows and they have quoted for low e glass, just wondering if K glass is better

Re: >>Windows - uPVC

K and LowE are the same. If you want better try LowE argon filled. It has a u value of as little as 1.1u. The good ones. Hell of a saving on heating bills after 10 yrs.

Hi,
I'm newcomer so apologies if a reply to this thread is not the way to go with this question:
I'm getting new windows on the house and wondering if any body has any experience with Regency Windows. Their stuff seems pretty good and they've quoted me €3520 for 3 windows and a front door/porch. Are they worth it? By the way got a quote for the same job from Global windows for €8402 but only if I took the job quickly- decided to decline kind offer!

This thread has become a haven for spammers necessitating the removal of posts so I am closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back