Key Post: PRSI Explained - 2008 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PRSI Explained

No Karl, eMac and iMac using OS 9.2.2 and IE 5 ... can't upgrade to OSX for another few months due to software compatibility problems.

I would suggest that the €551 is just a rounded figure, used to make the calculations slightly easier (€551 instead of €550.333...)

I doubt the welfare wish to discriminate between monthly and weekly paid people.
Good point - I never noticed that!
You certainly have your work cut out for you. Remember as well that we are only dealing with Class 'A' here.
Indeed - and have we even covered all Class A possibilities here? :)

thanks for all the info everyone. have just realised that i've been overcharged for my prsi all year long, so will be looking for a refund!

Karl

That is a great idea.

Maybe we will have a competition "The Askaboutmoney make sense of PRSI" competition.

Now what would a suitable prize be?

Brendan

That's a great link - I had no idea it was there

Thanks a million Busymam!

I have added the link to the First Post.

Can someone reply when the calculator is out for 2008.

Brendan

There's another publication that deals with calculation of PRSI. It's called the PRSI Ready Reckoner and it covers the most common classes of PRSI and unlike the online calculator it also covers income over the present threshold of €48,800. This is the one for 2007.

http://www.welfare.ie/publications/prsi1_07.pdf

The latest versions of these should be available soon.

Hope this helps to demystify PRSI and doesn't cause more confusion ;)

Karl

That is a great idea.

Maybe we will have a competition "The Askaboutmoney make sense of PRSI" competition.

Now what would a suitable prize be?

Brendan
... or aam members could collaborate to put it together. I tried the following online tool:
[broken link removed]

with this tool Collaborators would have to supply an email address to the document owner which may not be practical.

Busyman said:

unlike the online calculator it also covers income over the present threshold of €48,800.

You are not serious! The Department's calculator cannot handle salaries over €48,800?

I put in a salary of €2,000 per week, and I got a result which looks right, but it's only right if that is my first salary of the year. It would be wrong, if I had already earned €50,000!

It shows how complex it is.

Brendan

Thanks Brendan for explaining this. I have a better understanding of it now but its still a fair complicated system.

the threshold next year for the health levy is €26,000 or €500 per week. say your employer paid you €400 for 40 weeks = €16000 (prsi deducted but no health levy) and in a mood of governmental generosity €1,000 for the next 12 weeks - €12,000. ( prsi deducted now includes health levy) total earnings for the year €28,000. but you only paid health levy contribution on €12,000 (€240). If your employer had paid you the €28,000 evenly over the whole year you would have paid €560 health levy. I understand from above posts that if your earnings over the whole year are under €26,000 and you were paid over €500 in any one week that any health levy paid by you can be reclaimed but in above case is the opposite also applicable ie do you owe the €320 or does the fact that you were not liable on a weekly basis for the levy in the 40 weeks mean that you do not owe the €320?

Cuchulainn, no you shouldn't owe the money. (But don't take my word for it!)

Depending on the 'spread' of PRSI payments throughout the year, two different people with the same annual gross pay can end up paying differents amounts of PRSI.

thanks UMO. I actually pity anyone trying to understand prsi and the health levy. its as clear as mud, and taxes ( and thats what prsi and the health levy are) should be transparant and fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back