Key Post: IKEA - What's the best way ?

Re: e mail address

A note of caution - be careful about handing over cash in advance to any unknown business.

day trips

Just contacted Stena, got the following info:
Stena are doing coach trips on Saturdays to IKEA...
please call 01 2047777 to book.

How much

How much ? Any idea what quantity of goods can you bring back on the bus. Is it first come first served ?

bus

I called them a while ago, actually it's not such a good deal, it's about €60. However it's not a day trip, you go in the morning, get dropped off at Ikea, get picked up and taken to hotel for dinner, then sleep till 4am, pick up and boat home to arrive for 6am. Kind of strange I thought. Works out as less hassle to get a cheap Ryanair flight - they're doing the €1 deals till tonight.

How far from airport

How far from Prestwick to IKEA ? Is there a bus ? Taxi ?

Some other posts

Welcome1
Unregistered User
IKEA in GLASGOW

Getting a cheap Ryanair to Glasgow to have a look in IKEA.
Anybody any hints getting there from the airport or hints about what to do etc?

Frequent poster

I'm sure that you can figure out the logistics of travelling between the airport and the store by looking at these sites - e.g. Prestwick (?) airport and IKEA Glasgow...

www.ikea.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Ikea

I think that there may be some crowd who will order/buy/deliver from IKEA UK to Irish addresses so keep an eye out for them too...

Marge01
Re: IKEA

Try [broken link removed], you can order from IKEA through them. Also If you visit the IKEA store in Glasgow they will arrange for the stuff to be shipped over here.
HTH

gerry
Unregistered User
IKEA

I sent an order through to these guys and they never replied. ALso tried to ring them but the phone was never answered so I never bothered.

Rashersandwich
IKEA

Flatpack ireland couldn't be bothered replying to me either. You'd have to steer clear, wouldn't you?

juicec
Unregistered User
IKEA Glasgow

Hi,

Prestwick is about 30 miles from Glasgow (i.e. IKEA) but has regular trains to the city, whereas Glasgow Airport (where Aer Lingus fly into) is a 5 minute taxi ride from their retail park.

Once in IKEA pick up a catalogue, pencil, notepad and measuring tape and work your way through lots of "rooms" where if you like any item note down the warehouse reference on your pad so you can find it later!

Prepare to be overwhelmed by the quality and value but remember it's all flatpacked which requires some work!

Considering you're flying, once you've travelled along the aisles through the rooms, you'll come to the incredible choice of accessories offered for every room in your house (from towels to candles, glasses to plants).

Staff are fantastic, prices are great, shopping experience enjoyable and hot dogs tasty!.

Once you're finished, you arrive in the warehouse and using the notepad you find your flatpack items ...

Enjoy!!

machalla
Flatpack Ireland

Has anyone used this service?

Any opinions?

[broken link removed]

They seem to trip over to the UK with orders for IKEA items and ship them back over here. Obviously they charge for collecting the items and transporting them.

punter2005

Re: Flatpack Ireland

I was hoping for some feedback on Flatpack Ireland too!!

Read an article at one stage that they were sourcing in the Eurozone. In quite a few examples in their article, the Euro price of the furniture plus the shipping cost was cheaper than the standard UK price. Not sure if this is still the case.

punter2005
Re: Flatpack Ireland

I live in Cork so alot of the UK options above aren't particularly relevant.

Traditionally, the eurozone prices have been considerably cheaper than the UK prices. There must be a market out there for Ikea trips to mainland Europe.

Meehaul Kaine
Unregistered User
Not a lot of people know this, but

IKEA (pronounced eee-kaaay-aaah every
where but UK) have different price levels in different countries.

Myself and stato were just perusing my collection of IKEA brochures from different countries when I noticed that the Galant bureau costs €149 in France and €205 in Germany. Shocking, you say ? I concur.

And there's more. Sultan Nattljus mattress 90*200cm is €125 in France and a mere €89 in Germany. I only noticed this after buying one of these mattresses in France. Ripoff Europe that's what I say.

My IKEA UK brochure is temporarily misplaced, but I expect a thorough check will be carried out when I find it.

Meehaul.

cardigan
Unregistered User
Ikea Delft, Rotterdam

I just took basiqair to Rotterdam for €100 return. There is an Ikea in Delft, about a 5 min drive from Rotterdam airport, you could take a taxi. The weight limit coming back on the plane is 20kg per person, we had more than this and my hand luggage was 11kg, they said it was a bit large but I explained it had fragile/breakable stuff in it and they said it wasn't a problem - there's loads of stuff you can get in Ikea that you can just carry on the plane no hassle - well worth a visit and the Euro prices for the Netherlands seemed very fair to me. Be warned, this Ikea is not open every Sunday.

IKEA

Must correct one of my previous postings:

Checked out latest prices in latest 2004 IKEA catalogs.

Did a cross-check on various items of furniture (not a random sample - just the various items I would really like!) - UK prices were pretty much the same as the Eurozone prices.

Previous time I had checked - 2002 I think - prices in the UK were quite a bit higher than the Eurozone prices.

Hope other IKEA outlets in the UK will follow IKEA Glasgow's initiative!

Some other posts

gortfad
IKEA

Has anybody used IKEA in Glasgow and shipped the goods home? Just wondering if it's worth the expense?

okidoki987

Yes
Yes
and Yes.

Brilliant place to shop and Glasgow Ikea is a lot bigger and more comfortable then the Warrington one.
Have heard the staff in Ikea call Wednesday's "paddy's day"
because there are so many Irish people in there.
www.ikea.co.uk
Assembling the stuff is very easy with the excellent instructions.
Puts the shops here to shame.
Stuff we ordered was delivered to house after 3 days from going to store!

navanwoman

Stuff we ordered was delivered to house after 3 days from going to store!

How did you arrange delivery - and how much does it cost per carton/kilo?

okidoki987

You organise the delivery when you are in the store.
You just bring your trolley(s) to the delivery check after payment.
A trolley can take a suite of furniture, book cases and shelves.
It's slightly wider than the ones in B&Q.
It costs 100 STG for the 1st Pallet and 50 Stg for each one after this (it might have been 100 each for the 1st 2 and 50 for each one after that).
The 3 day delivery was impressive but I have been told it would normally take 7-14 days (still pretty good compared to Irish firms).
They do NOT do phone deliveries, you have buy the goods and then you take your trolley to the delivery checkout and they take the goods and organise delivery over to Ireland.
Very efficient.

Diziet
Unregistered User
Ikea delivery to Ireland

Can anyone tell me if Ikea Glasgow will deliver to Dublin only or elsewhere in Ireland also?
cheers,
Diziet

okidoki987
Re: Ikea delivery to Ireland

They deliver to anywhere in Ireland but you have to physically go to the store, collect your goods and pay for them. Then bring them to the delivery area who will then take your goods, get the delivery details including number to phone you. You then pay for whatever you have and go home and wait.

tubby
Unregistered User
Ikea delivery to Ireland

I've been toying with the idea of renting a van in NI and getting the boat to Glasgow to get some stuff but this sounds like a much easier option.
Can you fit much on the trolleys for delivery?

MissRibena

I wonder why they don't open a store in Northern Ireland. I'd imagine they would rake it in.

Rebecca

okidoki987

Unless you're living in NI, I doubt if they would rent you a van there. Don't think you are allowed to take a hire van out of the country, check that with the hirer?
You can fit a 3 piece suite of furniture on one trolley.
If the stuff you are buying is flat packed you will get a lot more on the trolley.
They would open in N.I. but they are waiting to see if the Government here will change the rules to allow them open.
I think the problem with N.I. is finding a big enough site whilst being able to cope with all the expected traffic.

okidoki987

Ryanair have flights from Dublin to Glasgow in May for
0.01 cent (+ taxes).
You can get the 8.30am flight Dublin to Glasgow Prestwick.
Train and taxi, into Ikea by 10.30am.
8 hours in Ikea (big shopping centre right beside it so if you wanted to go for an "Ikea break")
Last flight back is 20.55pm so you will have a day return flight for 33.02 including taxes!
Bargain.

traleeman

just got an email from ikea in glasgow,cost of delivery to republic is £100 for 2 trolleys(£60 per additional trolley).Definitely worth a trip over, especially with ryanair offer. All deliveries take place on a monday

mags
Unregistered User
delivery

Is it only glasgow who deliver to ireland or will the edinburgh brach do so too?

traleeman
Unregistered User
ikea

As far as i know its only glasgow. Going there on Mon morn with ryanair back in mon night,

Some other posts

OhPinchy
Frequent poster
Buying from IKEA

We're moving into our new house at the end of this month so unfortunately the ballymun ikea won't be of use to us.

First off, can anyone who has bought from IKEA abroad provide details of what kind of savings are involved - is it a case of paying the same amount as you would in a furniture shop like bargaintown here, but you get better quality goods or can both a saving and better quality goods be achieved?

Is there anyway of getting an english language list of their locations in europe as the website doesn't seem to provide this.

I've been told that the Glasgow ikea deliver 2 trolleys (which I'm told holds enough to kit out an entire house) to Ireland for £105 inc. insurance within 4-7 days. That sounds decent enough, but what are the prices in the Glasgow ikea compared to other locations?

Has anyone used flatpackireland.com or a similar service? Their website indicates they charge 30% of your shopping bill for the service they provide in purchasing your goods in edinburgh and delivering them to you. This seems like a massive percentage to me - can savings really be made even with this 30% charge?

Is there any company out there that deliver from an ikea in europe (which is bound to be cheaper)?

All in all, we really like the IKEA style of furniture but just want to investigate the best way of maximising the savings involved also.

The other thread on ikea mentions coach/ferry services, but I'd like to hear from someone who has gone across to wales in a van on the ferry - can you fit enough for a full house into the van? Finally, does anyone know roughly what hiring a van for the day or weekend might cost? Many thanks.

zag
Administrator
Re: Buying from IKEA

If it was a very small house, then you could probably do it, but realistically unless you *really* like the idea of buying absolutely everything for you entire house in one go, then it's probably not a good idea.

We have been across a few times with our car and can fit a lot in - you could certainly fit in enough stuff to kit out an entire room into a large car, with the back seats folded down.

Don't forget that things like beds and full height wardrobes are long by definition, so you may have a problem physically fitting them in or on your car. Everything else is normally presented in very small form boxes which lie on top of each other easily.

A problem may arise when Mrs Pinchy approaches the checkout and falls into the other-half-trap where there are loads of small household things (crockery, vases, curtains, dish drainers, candles, etc . . .) which don't stack as easily as the furniture and which actually can add up to a significant amount. I think it is as cruel as having sweets beside the checkout in supermarkets.

z

heinbloed1
international IKEA shopping

The cheapest IKEAs are Germany and the Netherlands.You don't have to speak these languages to access the pages.Choose the country and type into the "search" machine your demand,for example BILLY.
So first you have to make sure what you want by using the English catalog or web page.The articles have no numbers and their names are globally the same, more or less(China?).You will find out price differences,for example a kitchen unit bought in Germany is cheaper than in the Netherlands but the fridge/cooker for it is cheaper in Belgium,it has something to do with competition/environmental taxes etc. In Germany you can have breakfast for €1.50 with as much coffee as you like and the child creche for free,I suppose in England you get only a rasher for that money and the creche is filthy.And IKEA England is expensive for furniture as well,the canteen is quiet dirty,dark and loud.
Tell us how to hire a van to go to the continent.When I approach the car hire companies it is always the same story hired car can be brought to the continent for insurance reasons.
PS:The vodka in the blue bottles is worth it,it comes from Europe's oldest distillery.And the bottled beer .....somehow I understand the insurance problem.

okidoki987
Frequent poster
Re: international IKEA shopping

heinbloed1
After reading your post, I assume you've never set foot in an Ikea in England then?

heinbloed1
IKEA GB

I was forced to see Cardiff's new IKEA last Easter.In the center of the canteen they had put up a large Plasma TV -about 1m by 2m-for the kids showing some rubbish with a sound that could be heard the floor below.There where mushed chips under the tables, full ash trays on the tables,used napkins strewn around.
In the furniture show area doors where broken from hinges,drawers dangling from cupboards.The staff was not present,at least they did not feel to clean up.
Mind that the shop was only opened a couple of weeks before.
I like the shopping atmosphere/experience of continental IKEA shops.People come to have their lunch break from nearby factories and offices.At least twice per year I am in the Ikea of Bordeaux.The restaurant/canteen full to the last seat at lunch and for dinner.But clean.Quired.Appetizing.And the staff present.The same goes for the Netherlands and Germany.People seem to have more pride there,in their behavior,in their work,not just the IKEA staff.Cardiff was not more than a large chipper with some furniture sale-and I mean SALE.

okidoki987
Frequent poster
Re: IKEA GB

Never been to Cardiff so can't comment but have been a few times to Glasgow and had no problems with that store.
In cont Europe it may have something to do with
the type of people going to these places.
After all how many Irish or English people return their trays in McD's?
The number of people shopping in these stores in the UK would possibly be a lot higher due to the small number of stores and therefore the staff may not have the same
amount of time that their counterparts in cont Europe have?

Marie
Very frequent poster
Buying from IKEA

OhPinchy Heinebloed is correct! There are variations in IKEA stores throughout Europe to do with local wage-levels, taxes etc.

For example their superb Sultan Hasselback spring mattress is £230 in Birmingham Wednesbury store, and Euro229 (almost a third less) in one of their Paris stores.

It would probably be simplest - since you are ready to kit out your house right now and want to do it all together - to order online when you've compared prices and made your selection from the cheapest store (the goods are exactly the same and have the same names) and arrange carriage either by IKEA themselves or through a European haulier who are covered for insurance etc. and are used to the bureaucracy and documentation processes through customs. Exciting!

Marie
Very frequent poster
Buying from IKEA

Just heard on the "Today" programme Radio 4 this morning that when IKEA's new Edmonton, London, store opened at midnight last night police, firebrigade and ambulance services had to be called to sort out the chaos. People had been queueing for over 10 hours to get into the store, and thousands of people abandoned their cars on the motorway because the carparks were full. Twenty-two people were treated for crushing injuries and one potential customer was stabbed by someone else in competition over a £45 sofa (I think that's what they said).

OhPinchy
Frequent poster

Hi Marie,

Thanks for the advice - I had a look at a couple of products on different IKEA sites in Europe and the price does vary quite a bit like you say. BTW - any idea if there is an English language version of the sites for the European IKEAs or, a full list in English of all their stores in Europe?

I know the Glasgow store delivers to Ireland, but the Edinburgh store doesn't. I need to assess which store is the cheapest, which has cheapest delivery to Ireland, and which is cheapest to get to if I want to maximise savings/value for money. We would need to spend a day in an IKEA to check out the products but then we could order online, but if the delivery costs are going to be along the same lines of flatpackireland and their massive 30% charge it may be best to go fly to the Glasgow store with its higher prices and get them to deliver.

Anybody have any info on other haulage/delivery firms that might deliver from an IKEA in Europe.

Does anybody know of any other IKEAs besides Glasgow that deliver to Ireland?

Ha, I have to say thats pure mental about the goings on in London last night, I mean bargain hunting is one thing, but hunting down other bargainers is another!

cushtie
Frequent poster
Re: Buying from IKEA

have a look [broken link removed] for details on the Glascow store home delivery. Details are not great though.

I don't see a home delivery section for the Ediburgh site

I've ordered twice now from Glasgow and I was very happy with the service. I ordered on line and the person in charge of the service there kept me informed both by email and phone. Goods delivered to my house with no problem, including small items.
Previously I had made my sums and came to the conclusion that, when taking into account price of traveling to Warrinton or Glasgow with your car or van, (ferry, petrol, own time, sterling rate) this is by far the cheaper option. I also found that the Irish co that gets your order for you was more expensive.
But I guess,if you want to make a holiday of it, then the transport costs are not so important

I've ordered twice now from Glasgow and I was very happy with the service. I ordered on line and the person in charge of the service there kept me informed both by email and phone. Goods delivered to my house with no problem, including small items.
Previously I had made my sums and came to the conclusion that, when taking into account price of traveling to Warrinton or Glasgow with your car or van, (ferry, petrol, own time, sterling rate) this is by far the cheaper option. I also found that the Irish co that gets your order for you was more expensive.
But I guess,if you want to make a holiday of it, then the transport costs are not so important

i rang the ikea glasgow store and they told me i had to go to the store to order. Can you tell me how you managed to order online?
thanks

i rang the ikea glasgow store and they told me i had to go to the store to order. Can you tell me how you managed to order online?
thanks

Having shipped a kitchen and other items recently, the following is the result of our research:

Edinburgh home delivery: Online Option. Pay per pallet. Works out quite expensive
Glasgow standard delivery: Must be in Glasgow store. Pay per pallet. Cheaper than above.
Glasgow distribution: Must be in Glasgow store. Ships Kitchen only. Good value if only shipping kitchen (£300 to Dublin)
Van and Ferry: Best option if shipping many items imo.
Flatpack shipping: This is a shipping company. I believe there are a few others also. They charge a % of the total cost. Good value and good service.

Last edited:
I got a quote of 225 Sterling for delivery from the Edinburgh store. This was for shipping of 2 kitchen worktops and a sliding wardrobe, so quite big items. I think this is the standard price for a pallet. Took ages though to get the quote, basically you email them your order and wait for them to get back with a quote.

Last edited:
cheap van delivery service is 07775245041

I paid just 25 pounds from Ikea Edmonton to Tufnel Park. I booked it day before and the van was there when I came out.

I paid just 25 pounds from Ikea Edmonton to Tufnel Park. I booked it day before and the van was there when I came out.

FYI - This (4 year old) thread concerned delivery from Ikea in the UK to Ireland prior to the opening of their Dublin branch.
Leo

Back