Key Post: House Insurance

Re: Contents insurance for rented property

Figi,

Try On their online quotation form, it gives you a choice of either buildings, contents or both.

contents insurance for rented accommodation

No go there either. The issue is that it is rented accommodation, i.e., I'm not a home owner. Insurance companies in this country are very reluctant to insure contents for people living in shared, rented accommodation. Anyone else come across this problem?

Re: contents insurance for rented accommodation

Just spotted this post now. When I was in rented accommodation a year ago I got contents insurance from Bank of Ireland. There were no problems.

Re: HOUSE INSURANCE

Recently had the renewal statement from my lender quoting my home insurance at €682 for the coming year. Shrugged off usual inertia and check AAM and eventually got to and got a quote from AXA which was €200 ch3eaper for same cover. Also got a €50 voucher off the premium as a new customer or such like. Saved €250 all told for a few minutes work.

Slim 8)

PS: Ironically had to take lenders insurance for house to let as the others could not compete??

As an add on FBD do not insure houses that are more than 100 years old. So save your self a call and beware that you would not be covered if you fail to disclose this especially if, as I was, unsure as to the actual build date.

Re: >>House Insurance(key)

P.S. Do i insure the apartment for purchase price or the amount borrowed

Hi Clubman, Never check house insurance ,just work on a DD by BOI. Decided to browse the subject here and almost had a heart attack when I saw your premium. I pay 58.30 monthly which i worked out at about 700€.yearly. Have been with BOI for 20years and never check. I am now going to do a research. By the way, could not get SCS. Who are they .Can you provide more info as I want to assess costs for rebuilding and work out details for premium. Your rebuilding costs does look small .

SCS publish which is worth checking when shopping around for insurance. Make sure to review the footnotes and treat it as a ready reckoner only.

Elcato said:
As an add on FBD do not insure houses that are more than 100 years old. So save your self a call and beware that you would not be covered if you fail to disclose this especially if, as I was, unsure as to the actual build date.

I had the same problem because my house is a period property... it's very difficult to get insurance. with axa if the house is built before 1920 it must be approved by an underwriter, and i think allianz also have a 100 year requirement. the quote i got from axa was €512 (2 bed end of terrace, D6, no alarm). i found hibernian particularly helpful and went with them - mainly because they would insure me evn though i didn't know exactly how old the house was, and they came in at €390. unfortunately it does appear that you may not get as competitive a quote if your house is very old.

Back