Key Post: Car Service. Company replaced tyres without asking

2nd service

Had my 206 serviced at a Peugeot garage this week. It was the car's second service.

"Full service & inspection" €45 + 6.07 Vat.
Additional costs for oil, oil & air filters and sump washer.
Total: €107.

How'd I do?

Re: Rip off

Dont get ripped off on your parts, teach them a lesson.
Get your parts on www.micksgarage.com, they are a hell of alot cheaper than garages and motor factors and they supply headlamps, door mirrors and loads of body panels and accessories.

rip off

Well spotted rainyday. Google and you'll get your answer !

Actually, I can't claim credit - Cobalt spotted this on another thread.

Just yesterday I went into one garage in Donnybrook to get an exhaust centre-box replaced - quoted €240 and a 3 week wait - the part had to be imported especially from Japan apparently as it's an import car.

Went straight down the road to their competitor, and had the part replaced within 90 minutes for €120.

Mechanics would give Solicitors a run for their money!

-- James

but...

Cobalt spotted this on another thread.
...but it's been deleted :(
People just have to be aware that recommendations may not always be unbiased. Not saying, of course, that this is necessarily the case here, but if it walks like a duck...

Re: Key Post: Car Service. Is this a rip off?

Curious to find out what people are quoting these days for a service?
Just got off the phone being told €230 for a Micra, +€40 for a pre-NCT check... and that is NOT including parts, tyres etc.
And he admits its' about 2 hrs work.
Seems a tad on the high side, but I wouldn't really know.

Got a Hyundai Coupe serviced this week.

Oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter, two wiper blades and all various checks.

Total cost: €300.

Main dealer.

Never again will I go to a main dealer to get it serviced. I did query the bill and got a small reduction on the labour charge.

Do you have to go to a dealer when the car is under warranty?

sometimes cheapest though isnt always best and you may find a car that hasent given any trouble in years very soon starts to develop all kinds of little issues

Hey, my car has just recently started beeping to tell me it needs to be serviced. I phoned the dealer where i bought the car and have been quoted €295 for full service which i thought was excessive until i started phoning other dealers and was quoted up to €434. Then phoned advance pitstop and was quoted €170?? How can the difference in prices be justified?? What advantage do i have if i pay more and go to a dealer?

First service with toyota dealer that is the one I go to is 195 but you get ten percent off and major service is 305 again if you ask you can get 10 per cent off.

I would certainly go to a main dealership while my car is under warranty for the 3 years and then maybe look elswhere but we normally would change on a 3 year basis anyway. The other thing is building a relationship so if lights come on or whatever they have a look and do something for you for free. Maybe thats the case with smaller garages I dont know - I suppose the relationhsip is the key thing as well.

Hey, my car has just recently started beeping to tell me it needs to be serviced. I phoned the dealer where i bought the car and have been quoted €295 for full service which i thought was excessive until i started phoning other dealers and was quoted up to €434. Then phoned advance pitstop and was quoted €170?? How can the difference in prices be justified?? What advantage do i have if i pay more and go to a dealer?
Advance have a mixed reputation for service work and there were certainly reports that work was not been carried out by qualified mechanics etc but I do think that has changed now. €170 for the work they say they do and parts included is a decent price. I think getting your plugs, filters and oils changed for this price is good and cant do much harm to your car and then maybe get a reputable independent or main dealer to do work every second or third service

I pay more than this for my service (which I had done last week).
However, I got a guy (indirectly via AAM) that I completely trust, and that I know will not rip me off.
I had previously got my car serviced near the Naas Rd, for 250, but he definitely didn't do what he invoiced me for.
In context, I'd also prefer to pay a bit more, but to have a reliable job done

Nicola

Once got a service done by a Volkswagen dealership. All the usuals but with a crazy price. Was in the 400's!

Simple solution for me. Never buying a volkswagen and never using a dealership :)

Back