Kenmare Youro's !!??

TRipley

what's the story with Kenmare's new currency the Youro!

is this for real?

does it mean nobody will trade in euros? i.e. if I buy a pint with 20euros will I get back 16 youros which I then have to spend in Kenmare before I leave?

Hi TRipley

Never heard of it until you posted your thread, then I found out the following.

The date has been set for the launch of our own local currency. The Kenmare YOURO will be officially available on the night of the launch MAY 15th at the BrookLane Hotel at 6.30pm.

The first 50 lucky people through the door will be given one YOURO for free. As it is part of the Transition Town Kenmare’s initiatives the launch will be more party than meeting and there will be music and refreshments after the official ceremony.

We are at present compiling a list of participating businesses in the locality, if you would like your shop, hotel, guesthouse, bar, or business included in the scheme please email:
[email protected]

The YOURO’s can be purchased by local businesses and individuals from TTK and the Chamber of Commerce and will also be available at the Tourist Office in the square. The list of participating businesses will be displayed on this site, the Facebook Group page, the Chamber of Commerce website at www.kenmare.com and the public noticeboard in the square.

Interesting

Regards

Hizzy

It was on Matt Cooper's "The Last Word" yesterday evening, it appears to be real! Such cowboys, its like the Disney Dollars crap where you cant spend them anywhere else but there. I wonder will they be easy to counterfeit ;)

so it looks like it's only going to be in use in certain establishments then....good for Kenmare bad for everyone else! unless as you say Flanders they can forged of course!

I'd be tempted t spend them all in the Chipper (sorry can't remember the name) that wraps the take-aways up like they did years ago in the grey-ish newsprint paper, its up there with Burdocks or maybe even surpasses them.

oh thats WHARTONS chipper !
and yea its the best, even got a write up in the english times a few years ago when a reporter was staying in a local 5 ***** hotel and had his dinner in there.

Late Extra: The Gardai and Coastguard have intercepted a rib with approximately 250,000 counterfeit Youros on board heading in the direction of Kenmare. It is believed that the forgers used a virtual beehive oratory on Skellig Michael to produce the near perfect fakes. The factory was guarded by a virtual small army of Puffins, Gannets and Storm Petrels. It is believed that they were ready to flood the market in anticipation of the hoards of AAM readers who saw this phenomena as a star in the sky.;)

In Englandshire they don't accept the Scothland pound.
Since when? Had some Scottish notes left over after a visit to Bonny Scotland and they were accepted in London on April 3 this year. Ach aye :)

Since as long as I can remember. Mrs Windsor's portrait on the notes isn't enough to convince some of her subjects of the validity of the currency ("Know wot I mean mate, innit")

Was a fairly frequent visitor to Scotchland in my youth and anytime we would make a raid on the southern neighbours they would look at the Scottish sterling as if it was something we had printed in our garden shed.

Much the same way they don't accept the Norn Iron sterling as it's printed by the varoius banks and not at all similar to the stuff there used to.

Well im going on a stag party to kenmare on saturday so im fairly sure things will get confusing if we are handed back Youro's !!

Well im going on a stag party to kenmare on saturday so im fairly sure things will get confusing if we are handed back Youro's !!

I'd consider myself lucky if I got anything back whatsoever from a Kerryman. Surely you'll have the option of getting proper currency back anyway.

I'd consider myself lucky if I got anything back whatsoever from a Kerryman. Surely you'll have the option of getting proper currency back anyway.
Lots of ladies of his time got lifelong reminders from that great Kerryman who adorns Dublin's main street. And now it's payback time from the pidgeons - guano.:)

Back