Keep cats out of apartment?

shesells

Strange query but is there a device we can get to keep cats out of our apartment? We're 1st floor but twice in the past month we've come home to find a cat in the apartment, today there was several hundred euro worth of damage done due to breakages :(

There has been an invasion of cats in the development in recent months. A neighbour called the DSPCA and was told they would have to pay for them to come out which the neighbour did not want to do. We haven't been letting windows or doors open, they've literally got to be scooting in when we turn to lock the door. Frightened the life out of me today, I came in to the kitchen and there was broken glass everywhere.

We have pet away crystals on the balcony and in the pots and tubs but I need some solution to keep them out of the apartment.

Honestly. It's happened twice now. We've gone out - no sign of cat on steps or no flash of fur as they scoot in. But they somehow are getting in and this is the only way it could be. It's not as if we've been leaving doors open...either they're teleporting themselves in or scooting in so sneakily.

Anyway I need something to keep them away. We're not encouraging them in but they are getting in so now we're looking for something to dissuade them from entering.

... but I need some solution to keep them out of the apartment.
Keep a dog? :D

Seriously though if they are getting in via the common areas, is this not a job for your agent / maintenance company rather than an apartment owner?

They are getting in through our own front door, we don't have a shared entrance. Yes they are coming from the car park/garden and the management company (of which I am a director) are trying to tackle the bigger issue but again I ask - is there a device I can get to keep them out until this happens?

They apparently dislike mothballs? Also citrus smells. Maybe you could spray the area outside your door?

Edit: Just read that mothballs are toxic so ignore that one please!

They apparently dislike mothballs? Also citrus smells. Maybe you could spray the area outside your door?

Edit: Just read that mothballs are toxic so ignore that one please!

Ha! that'd def sort that, so.........

Anyone got a less murderous idea - angry and all as I am at the mess that might be a bit extreme :D

Isn't there a high frequency thing you can plug in to deter them? I know there's one for mice and for dogs.

Google "Cat Repellent" and you'll see a load of sprays and ultrasonic repellants. Even the Iirsh Times are flogging outdoor ultrasonic ones.

Seriously, as one of the other posters said, just be more careful when you're closing your front door. What are you doing when you're normally closing your front door - listening to your iPod while closing the door with your eyes closed?!

They could be finding another way in - either through a window that's been left ajar or through an air vent or something.

Why don't you setup a camera watching your front door to see if it is indeed the way the cat "burglars" are getting in :D

Google "Cat Repellent" and you'll see a load of sprays and ultrasonic repellants. Even the Iirsh Times are flogging outdoor ultrasonic ones.

this is the answer i was thinking in my head. There is a spray you can get that they dont like. Just be careful that its nothing poisonous i.e. jayes fluid will kill cats- they walk on it, lick their paws etc so make sure you use something that has been particularly made for cats.

good luck...

If you can catch any of them you can bring them up to the DSPCA. They may take them in. They dont answer call outs as you can imagine they would be inundated with call outs if they started doing so- but they wont turn an animal away if you can catch them yourself.

Our cat hates the smell of onions...plant a few rings of onion outside everyday. Joking apart, just spray some strong smelling bottle of cheap perfume on the door. My cat hates my perfumes too :)

Back