KBC Tracker Transfer - New special condition in Loan Offer

jassub

I'm in the process of carrying out a tracker transfer of a KBC tracker mortgage from a house I've just sold to a house I'm in the process of buying.

When I compare the letter of loan offer for the new house to the one for the original mortgage, there's now an additional special condition that wasn't part of the original mortgage -

"In determining the interest rate applicable to this Loan, we retain the right at our sole discretion to substitute one month EURIBOR (as determined by us on the first business day of each calendar month) for the REFI rate where one month EURIBOR is more than 0.25% above the REFI rate for a period of longer than 30 days. This substituted rate would no longer apply from the first day of the month following a continuous period of 30 days where the one month EURIBOR is less than 0.25% above the REFI rate, and the REFI rate would then be used in determining the interest rate applicable to this Loan. One month EURIBOR means the rate at which we shall determine to be the rate at which we are offered funds of like amount on the Euro Interbank Market for a period of one month."

I'm trying to understand the likelihood of that clause ever coming into effect, and am hoping someone will be able to help clarify EURIBOR, REFI and the relationship between the two.

If I'm looking at the right thing (on the euribor-rates.eu site), it seems one month EURIBOR is currently negative, and has been for most of the year, which suggests that that clause would have had no effect this year. However, those seem to be general EURIBOR rates, while the clause seems to specify that they'll consider the EURIBOR rate to be whatever rate KBC are offered. Are those one and the same thing, or do different banks get offered different EURIBOR rates based on their perceived credit-worthiness?

Has it always been the case that one-month EURIBOR is less that 0.25% above the REFI rate, or has it sometimes been above that? What scenarios in terms of economic conditions and outlook would typically cause one month EURIBOR to climb relative to REFI?

Hi jassup

KBC are essentially trying to protect themselves from a repeat of the situation that arose during the 2008/09 financial crisis when EURIBOR became very significantly dislocated from the ECB refi rate.

EURIBOR refers to the average rate at which large European banks lend money to each other on an overnight basis. In "normal" economic conditions this rate is closely correlated with the ECB's deposit facility rate, which, in turn, is normally closely correlated with the ECB refi rate. The ECB deposit facility rate is currently -0.2% and EURIBOR is therefore, unsurprisingly, in negative territory, whereas the ECB's refi rate is currently 0.05%.

In a nutshell, KBC are trying to protect themselves from another credit crunch scenario where banks become fearful of placing money with each other. To be honest, I don't think this is particularly unreasonable - most variable rates on the continent are tied to EURIBOR, as opposed to any ECB policy rate.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't think this is particularly unreasonable - most variable rates on the continent are tied to EURIBOR, as opposed to any ECB rate.

Agree fully. Lenders are reluctant to give out tracker mortgages because of the risk that the cost of money will vary from the ECB rate. So allowing them to track the cost of money instead could bring trackers back.

Brendan

Back