June 11th elections

Re: Re.Re.

"Thought that was going to happen."

I saw your post before it was deleted. I wouldn't have classed it as an expletive as you'd used a * in the word.

One could replace the * with the letter 'e' ...a rather harmless word then.

Especially considering a recent discussion discussed word.

-"the spoilt vote or no vote idea. They both send messages."-

The spoilt vote sends the message of protest.

The no vote sends the message you wanted to stay in and watch Eastenders...

spoilt vote

it shows you've made the effort to shoe them they're not worth your vote.

I too am thinking of spoiling my vote as few of them are worth it...am contemplating Ms McGuinness of FG mind. Anyone but FF, Charlies cynical screwing of the PAYE worker and the lack of protests from FF on behalf of 'the common man' has put paid to me giving anyone in that party a vote...even if they are a nice chap and good counciller...if you punish them at grassroots and the grassroots know why, then the top will eventually know all about it!

Re: spoilt vote

I agree that spoiling your vote is a valid expression of an opinion.

However, you can be sure that the extremists on both sides will not be spoiling their votes. As fewer and fewer 'normal' people vote, the extremes get stronger and stronger. I don't mean traditional political left and right. I mean fascists, nazis, communists etc. Britain and Continental Europe has been caught like this a couple of times already - BNP, Le Pen etc.

I'd rather a dull, grey FF & FG dominated Dail, to one run by Justin Barrett and Joe Higgins and a throng of single-issue independents. That might be entertaining, but as we rapidly lost jobs and freedoms the fun wouldn't last long.

For all the faults of the main parties (too many to list here), we live in a stable, safe and wealthy democracy. It's too valuable to let it drift away by abstaining from elections.

Re: spoilt vote

Prediction Time: :)

That's a good point Sarsfield. I don't really think we have too much to worry about just yet though. People are essentially lazy beings. When our Dail is overrun with hundreds of Joe Higgins then you'll see people out in their droves voting for nice grey parties. A hot poker up the ass is usually required for people to notice the changes.

However, back to the prediction...I strongly think that our next government will be made up predominantly of FG & Labour.

Now there's two nice grey parties for you ;)

Single issue candidates

Talking of these...there are posters on the N7 for an independent candidate the slogan being simply 'Stop the Paedophiles'. One very narrow issue there - am looking forward to what he says about his campaign. He bears an uncanny resemblance to Sean Moncreif.

personal attacks

It's all vanilla. I don't like vanilla, so I'm spoiling my vote.

I'm hurt, and I'd like to point out that I hadn't even considered running :(

Back