Judge orders man to climb Croagh Patrick

Mpsox

Have to admit that this story made me chuckle
[broken link removed]

I'm just wondering what other people think of punishments like this as a form of "justice". Personally, on the basis that it will cost the state nothing and it likely to have a more benificial effect on the man's behaviour (out of embarrassment as much as anything else) then a fine or suspended sentence, I'm leaning towards it being a good thing.

Are there any other similer punishments that judges could give out?

To be honest with you I find this type of punishment appropriate, however what I find disgraceful and will be making a complaint about is the fact that a Judge of this Republic is requiring a citizen to complete a religious task - and telling him to say some prayers! Outrageous.

Given as an atheist I'm the same as a nazi now (or according to someone who was in the Hitler Youth, so I suppose he should know), I'm on the fence with this. On the one hand it's ingenious and judges should use their imagination more, but the problem extends from a direction by the courts to undertake a specific religious pilgrimage and complete the stations.

I like this kind of idea. Common enough in the states.

Tax evaders have the shirts forcibly removed from their backs as well as having their possessions confiscated?

Risk-taking high rolling bankers forced to play Russian roulette to see how intrepid they really are?

Given as an atheist I'm the same as a nazi now (or according to someone who was in the Hitler Youth, so I suppose he should know)

+1 - guess Im in the 'party' with you there :)

I disagree with a Judge imposing a religious sentence. Although I do think its rather imaginative.

+1 - guess Im in the 'party' with you there :)

I disagree with a Judge imposing a religious sentence. Although I do think its rather imaginative.

He wanted him to climb croagh patrick to appreciate the people and county of Mayo, I think the religious element may have been more tongue in cheek. I and many more have climbed it purely to enjoy the walk and scenery.
People getting all jumpy about the mention prayers need to get over themselves.

I like this kind of idea. Common enough in the states.

Tax evaders have the shirts forcibly removed from their backs as well as having their possessions confiscated?

QUOTE]

And certain bankers as well, maybe make a reality TV show out of it so the rest of the nation could watch and enjoy as the bailifs ceased things

I've climbed the same plenty of times so the act of climbing is not just about religion. If the judge had stopped there, I'd have thought it funny too, but he didn't, he specifically instructed the individual to do it as a pigrimage and to complete the stations. That's different.

An inventive punishment but I definitely don't agree with making it a pilgrimage and turning it into a religious sentence.

I can see the splash line in the local Donegal papers ..

"Judge shuns Donegal's own Lough Derg over Mayo for penitential sentence !"

:D

Have to admit that this story made me chuckle
[broken link removed]

I'm just wondering what other people think of punishments like this as a form of "justice". Personally, on the basis that it will cost the state nothing

" Man sues state after falling on Croagh Patrick while completing sentence ":p

It is not clear from the report in the paper if the judge firstly asked the defendant was he a practicing catholic and, if the defendant answered in the affirmative, then perhaps it could be viewed as innovative and not inappropriate. However, to make such an order without any consideration for the persons religious beliefs, if any, is, to my mind, out of order.

Would the man have had to swear on the bible when he was in court?

Interesting, is there an appropriate form of swearing for atheists? Why should anyone with no beliefs be required to swear on a bible? Does anyone know the procedure in such instances?

Interesting, is there an appropriate form of swearing for atheists? Why should anyone with no beliefs be required to swear on a bible? Does anyone know the procedure in such instances?

I think you can just "affirm" that you will tell the whole truth. Personally, I'd rather swear on the Constitution.

edit: actually here
[broken link removed]
you actually have to pro-actively decide not to swear on a bible and notify the registrar that you will be affirming - yet more evidence of religious interference in our so-called republic!

Just looking at the mountain from our hotel window and would not want to be climbing it at all!

Hi dereko1969,

I was shocked when I read this in the paper this morning, it was like going back to the 50's and the utter domination of the Catholic Church. I think it is a gross violation of human rights, I rather go to jail than be forced into complying with a religion I don't believe in. Surely this is a case for the European Court:(

Back