JSB and the selfemployed

flatbroke

Hi
I have a question regarding the JSB and self-employment. At the moment I’m in receipt of JSB and I’m looking at giving Painting & Decorating a go and would like to do this legit.
I know in the current climate work is scarce and would like to advertise (flyers , business cards etc..)
How would this impact my JSB payment? What is the process if i do get a days work here and there?

Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

Hi flatbroke
there is a scheme called the short term enterprise allowance where you an start your own business while retaining your JB up to the date that you would be entitled to it should you remain unemployed.

You can google it and get the relevant info
I am not sure of the implications on Job-seekers Allowance though should the venture prove unsuccessful

In addition to the short-term enterprise allowance, there’s the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance. This is open to anyone who has been on jobseekers for longer than a year and has an underlying entitlement to Jobseekers Allowance. The benefits of this allowance last longer than the short-term enterprise allowance. If you are approaching the end of your spell on Jobseekers Benefit and you think you will pass the means-test for Jobseekers Allowance then it may be worth waiting a little while longer.

To answer one of your questions... If you get work here and there you can sign off for the days you are working without, in many cases, affecting your underlining entitlement to a jobseekers payment. However, this can get quite complicated depending on which of the jobseeker payments you are on, how regular your employment is, how long some of the projects may be etc...

I don’t think there would be a problem with advertising your services now as effectively you’re just looking for work - just as you are supposed to be doing. However, I think it is in your own interests to make an appointment with the “job facilitator” attached to your local social welfare officer. Not only can they go through all your options with you and clarify your questions, they will be able to give a clearer picture on the impact of taking on projects. They also have one or two small funds available to them to assist with some start-up costs. These grants are paid solely at their discretion.

If there is a Local Employment Service in your area, it might also be an idea to pay them a visit.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the detailed response Duffy. I will follow up on this and advise how it went.

Back