Joint tenancy with sibling

With regard to tax, why would I include full rent in my returns. I receive half. I don't know what, if anything, that he is declaring and if I did, I would not discuss his tax affairs as that would be out of order.
If the tenant is paying half the rent to a non-live in landlord, wouldn't that need to be RTB registered? I think you're playing a risky strategy cherry-picking elements from rent-a-room-relief and tenancy legislation as suits your own purposes.

Are these tenants really paying half the rent to you and half directly to your brother?

Then your brother can play silly games as long as he wants. He can take as long as he wants to sell to you, or not at all.

I’m sorry but judging by the description on the thread you both seem to prefer conflict over a solution.
The reason for my post in the first place was because of conflict!! It was never what I wanted or expected. It started to break me down. Now I want to stand up for myself and move this forward after 2 years of being brow beaten and being constantly in the dark.
My post was for constructive advice before I take the necessary steps. Going legal would be the last resort but maybe necessary. I'm waiting for a solicitor appt for advice. Also I will discuss mediation with sol.
It's because of the conflict you mentioned that I have to go further. The objective is just to live in peace without being subjected to mind games! I don't care about money once I have enough and to live peacefully.
The present arrangement could have worked very well but he has gone too far!!

If the tenant is paying half the rent to a non-live in landlord, wouldn't that need to be RTB registered? I think you're playing a risky strategy cherry-picking elements from rent-a-room-relief and tenancy legislation as suits your own purposes.

Are these tenants really paying half the rent to you and half directly to your brother?
I live here so it's compliant. RTB is about rights.
Tax is a totally separate issue. His are separate to mine. I never once said either of us were tax exempt.

If it wasn't, I have no right to remove a tenant without his permission.
your house sharers have the status of guests, they can be asked to leave at any time.
2. I cannot stop paying him his half share and wouldn't
Your sibling is not entitled to tax free money.

If you are getting more than 14k per annum (before any remittance which you feel obliged to pay your sibling), then you could also be in breach of tax regulations.

You can't control another persons actions, only your own.

If you are not willing to change anything, then stay as you are and polish up your grievances till they shine.

RTB is about rights.
It is, but the exemption from RTB registration you're relying on is the fact that the landlord lives in the same house. In the case here, if there are two landlords that's only half true. You are stating that your brother has equal authority to you, then how are you deciding that landlord / tenant relationship does not make it subject to registration?

Tax is a totally separate issue. His are separate to mine.
Yep, but again this might be a bit of a grey area. Revenue guidance on what kind of residence qualifies states it is one where the landlord normally lives. Their guidance on exemption is all predicated on 100% of the rent being paid to that individual.

Back