Joint ownership

whatatodo

17 years ago my father bought me a house, both our names are on the deeds. I took out a mortgage on the house, in order to pay for work which needed doing, though both names were on the mortgage, I paid all of the payments, and the mortgage has been repaid in full.my question is, when my father dies, will any of my siblings have a claim on the property, or will my fathers share automatically come to me?

Tenants in common= your father's share will pass by way of his estate so by the rules of intestacy if he doesnt make a will, by his will if he does.

Joint tenants= the survivor takes all.

Your title is held one way or the other, if you don't know which, then go back to the solicitor who acted, or indeed to any solicitor and they will be able to look at the title and tell you.

I’m struggling to get my head around what happens in wills with assets which are jointly owned between a husband and wife.
For example assets such as a jointly owned farm, jointly owned family home and joint deposit account etc. etc.
I’m hoping somebody can shed some light on my questions in the following fictitious examples.

A husband and wife have jointly own a farm during their 30+ years of marriage and they have two adult sons
The husband and wife have separate wills.
The husband in his will says the farm should be left to son A but the wife in her will says the farm should be left to son B.
Let’s assume the husband dies first. I understand at this point the farm will simply pass to his wife because they jointly own it, joint ownership of the farm takes
precedence over what he said in his will, am I correct ?
Then when the wife dies the farm will pass to son B.
What happens to the fact that the husband said son A in his will ?

A husband and wife have a joint deposit account with €20,000 and they have one daughter.
The husband and wife have separate wills
Both husband and wife in their wills say the 20K should be left to their daughter.
The husband dies first, I assume at this point the complete ownership of the deposit account will simply pass to his wife ?
In other words it won’t go to the daughter on his death leaving his wife with nothing ?
Then on the death of the wife the 20K will pass to their daughter.

A husband and wife have a jointly owned family home and a joint deposit account with €20,000 and they have one daughter.
Neither have a will.
Imagine the husband dies in some accident.
I assume ownership of the family home and the deposit account simply passes to his wife ?

The farm is jointly owned as joint tenants. It does not form part of the deceased's estate - he can make as many wills as he likes but unless ownership is altered into his sole name, he has no power to decide it will go to son A - it goes to the surviving joint owner, the wife. She can do what she likes with it.

Same with joint deposit account.

No will, joint assets, all pass to survivor.

People can be blindsided by their own version of reality.

mf

Back