Joint Bank Account with Elderly Parent

jamestkirk

Hi All,

I am looking at a joint banking account with my Mother who has a long term illness. Now she is reasonably healthy now but her health will get worse. To manage her finances long term myself and siblings are trying to figure out what's the best approach to help her and what's the best bank to do this with. We are also looking at Enduring Power of Attorney.

So can anyone that has been in this type of situation offer me advice on what is the best way to approach this.

Many Thanks

I was in this position a few years ago, we put in place a PoA whilst she was in the position to sign the relevant papers and that then allowed myself and my sister to mange her bank accounts, pay the bills etc etc. I'd recommend more then one person having the PoA and the ability and access to the accounts since it can help stop rows. Also make sure all other siblings are aware it is in place. The bank will have forms etc for you to sign to allow you get this access once the PoA was signed but ours were in Bank of Ireland and we found the local branch very helpful

Joint bank account is not needed and can open all kinds of questions around Tax, Fair deal etc

I was in this position a few years ago, we put in place a PoA whilst she was in the position to sign the relevant papers and that then allowed myself and my sister to mange her bank accounts, pay the bills etc etc. I'd recommend more then one person having the PoA and the ability and access to the accounts since it can help stop rows. Also make sure all other siblings are aware it is in place. The bank will have forms etc for you to sign to allow you get this access once the PoA was signed but ours were in Bank of Ireland and we found the local branch very helpful

Joint bank account is not needed and can open all kinds of questions around Tax, Fair deal etc
Thanks a million, really appreciate the response.

Theres a difference between an Enduring Power of Attorney and a regular power of attorney.

A new process was introduced this year & I'm more familar with the old one, so do your reading on that.

Plenty of people have gone for the joint account route.

You might also find it helpful to have your parent set you up as an agent on the various utilities, insurance etc., so you have the ability to follow up on any queries or issues on your parents behalf.

Theres a difference between an Enduring Power of Attorney and a regular power of attorney.

A new process was introduced this year & I'm more familar with the old one, so do your reading on that.

You might also find it helpful to have your parent set you up as an agent on the various utilities, insurance etc., so you have the ability to follow up on any queries or issues on your parents behalf.
Thanks... I take it by going the joint account route means you have simpler access and you can forgo the EPOA / POA. Cheers on the tip regarding the Agent, sound advice.

Its still worth discussing the EPOA with your parent & other siblings; it gives more protections should your parent need it.

But often times its more help navigating modern customer systems thats needed.

I did this with my parent - opened a joint account and had his weekly pension paid into it. I kept a spreadsheet of every cent going in and out with an explanation of what every amount was for - be it clothes, food shopping or bills. None of the money in the account was mine. However, when parent died the funds transferred to me. It didn't form part of the estate so effectively I could have spent it all. My siblings were very trusting of me!

Having an Enduring Power of Attorney in place is fine, but it doesn't help while the Donor is still capable and fully compos mentis. The EPOA has no impact until it comes into effect. In my case my mother who is in her nineties is at least as mentally alert as I am, if not more so and so there is no question of making her EPOA effective. That still leaves us with the problem of managing her money. In consultation with my siblings and my mother, I have online access to her bank accounts, state savings account etc using her credentials for over a decade. This allows me to manage the accounts, download statements, etc without having to add my name to her accounts. All regular bills are paid by DD and any incidentals are paid by me by online transfer. I also use online transfers to reimburse my siblings for any expenses they incur on behalf of my mother (groceries etc). And just like Marsha25 I track everything on a spreadsheet, which I reconcile weekly to the bank accounts. I also keep all downloaded statements, bills, invoices etc. all of which are sent to my mother's e-mail address which is redirected to me.

I provide my siblings with an annual update, and with their agreement I run any major decisions (reinvestments) past one of my brothers. I also offered them at the outset, copies of the spreadsheet on request and made it clear that they were free to hold me to account at an point, without fear of it being taken as a personal affront.

Incidentally, for anyone in a similar position, I also sorted out all the utilities/other service providers some years back, by sending them a letter signed by my mother, instructing them to deal with me on her behalf, and to answer all enquiries I raised and accept whatever instruction I give them. The letters were sent by registered post and I recorded the letters and the delivery receipts. That has saved an enormous amount of frustration when dealing with the likes of eir, virgin etc as I can step in anytime there is an issue. I have also registered her with the energy companies as Vulnerable/Special Services Customer, and registered myself as her Third Party Representative on their systems.

One other point; having all of my mothers utility bills redirected to me has another big advantage. She doesn't see them, and out of sight is out of mind. This really struck me last winter when she was rattling around in her big old house listening to Joe Duffy's whiners banging on about the cost of heating bills. I had the others warned to ask her every time they called "Is the heating on". We were able to lie though our teeth that the bills were very reasonable and that she should have the heat on as much as she wanted. Little did she know that one of the gas bills was almost €1,500. The same applied in the past to the phone bills; she used to look at them and say that she was using the phone too much and needed to cut back - it's one of her primary connections to the outside world and she is a woman of many and varied interests and the 2/3 hours a day she spends on the phone is hugely important for her mental wellness and self esteem. She again has no idea of the bills and is better off for it as it allows her to use the phone without giving the cost a second thought.

This has worked well for us for over 10 years. Not saying it's for everyone but it works well for us and leaves her free of the stress of managing her money.

We did something similar, moved everything to Direct debit where possible, set up similar instructions with the providers, got authority to collect the pension (as it had to be collected in the Post Office, none of this straight into a bank a/c nonsense !) and it all worked fine.

One point I did find interesting what that when we were setting up the PoA, the solicitor wrote to my wife and sister's husband and got them to confirm they were aware of it so it was quite open and transparent to the entire family what was happening. PoA did kick in for the last 12 months and it made life so much easier for us, even though Mam had no idea at that stage.

I am set up as agent for both my parents on most of their accounts and its very helpful, especially if your parents are prone to becoming confused.

If you want to monitor your parents bank accounts (with their permission) how to you sidestep the two-factor authentication issue whereby you need to approve each login on a PC via the app on someone else's phone?

Did something similar as others. Had PoA . But that never kicked in to be useful.

Had joint accounts which were useful. But be aware when the person passes away, you lose access to these and any historical records within unless you've taken copies. Having Digital copies of transactions is useful later. Also handy having a joint account between siblings for estates expenses.

We all also had the one siblings at home named on utility accounts. Unfortunately became an issue as they were not proactive and it's impossible for others to intervene with any issues. In hindsight would have just put these in a different proactive siblings name.

I'd also say do as much as you can as early as you can with a parent while they are mobile and rational. As they get less mobile and less rational, and grumpy everything gets harder. Sorting neglected paperwork while dealing with a care situation just makes everything that bit harder. Don't assume other siblings are doing it.

Back