Jobseekers benefit earnings?

happychristmas

Hello,

I am just wondering, how are earnings calculated for jobseekers benefit? Do you have to give payslips or do you have to give bank statements for the relevant tax year?

Kind Regards,
Barry

You will be asked for current earning (or earnings prior to redundancy) when completing the application form, and also for details of any redundancy payment. In general, proof of earnings is not required for a solo claim. If claiming for your spouse/civil partner/co-habitant you will also complete their earnings details and you will be asked for their payslip, other income details, as well as bank balances, assets etc.

Your entitlement will be based on you Social Insurance Contribution Record, your earnings in the pre-preceeding year (i.e. earnings in 2022 for a 2024 claim) and your previous history of claims. Details of the payment rates are set out clearly on this page

In terms of information required there is a considerable difference between Jobseekers Benefit and Jobseekers Allowance as the latter is means tested and so a lot more financial information is required. Likewise if you are claiming for a partner. All the above assumes that you were employed. The requirements are different again if you were self employed.

Even if you are applying online, you might find it useful in preparing for your claim to look at the paper application form UP1, available from your Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office.

I had a different job back in 2022, how would the department know my earnings from that? My wife is working so I wouldn't be claiming for her as it is only myself and her in the household. Would I still have to give them her bank statements

I had a different job back in 2022, how would the department know my earnings from that?

By looking up your income tax and PRSI record (what used to be called your P60) for 2022, of course!

And, unless you indicate that you want to claim for her, then no details of your wife's earnings will be required.

I had a different job back in 2022, how would the department know my earnings from that? My wife is working so I wouldn't be claiming for her as it is only myself and her in the household. Would I still have to give them her bank statements
Assuming that you are in employment (as opposed to self-employed) they will have your earnings on file (Revenue and DSP exchange a lot of data). Payslips etc will only be necessary if there are queries in relation to income.

Back