jobseekers allowance to fas work?

lorr01

hello,

Just want to no if anyone could give me a bit of advice, my dad is unemployed and is currently getting Job seekers allowance, his friend told him that there is some jobs coming up with FAS, now my dad is interested in this but my family have a medical card and my sister has just received a maintenance grant for 3rd level based on my parents income, my mother works 15 hours per week €145.00.

Would my dad lose their medical Card and my Sisters grant for college if he took up this employment as he really wants to work and also the work is 1 week working and 1 week off and he dosent know much about it and also who pays him for the week he isn't working?

any help at all i would appreciate, thanks

thanks sue ellen, i looked on the fas website but i couldn't see anything about the type work he be doing like working one week and off the next week, there dosent seem to be anything about it up on there site or on the citizensinformation site i have that checked also!! maybe im missing something and didnt check properly i will look again,

Hi Lorr,

Sorry for misunderstanding. I meant that it would be best to ring either or both of the two organisations to see if they can clarify about the positions and how this will affect the grant and medical card.

As FAS is in a transition period to the new company things are changing on a daily basis so the two websites may not be totally up-to-date on this type of info.

Citizens Information have offices throughout the country and they are very helpful.

FAS have Employment Services Offices around the country and he should be able to call into them if he needs to have a chat or just ring. I know that the Tallaght Office in the Social Welfare office see people up to lunch-time but not sure if that is by appointment only.

If it's part time employment, he is still considered available for work on the week he's not in FAS and can sign on for that week. If he gets the job, he can tell SW about his new work pattern (one week on, one week off) and they'll advise him further.

Regarding the medical card, if your father has been on JA for a year or more, he doesn't lose the medical card immediately.

If the work is part time, he can keep the card for 3 years after his wages first go over the income guidelines.

If the work is full time, he can keep the card for 3 years from the date he starts work.

I'm not 100% sure on college grants, but I think that if you've been assessed for this year, you get the grant even if circumstances change - but it may affect grants for next year if he was still working. The local authority who issue the grants will be able to tell you for certain.

Sue Ellen I will get in touch with them thanks and also gippiman thanks for the information you're very good!

Good to know where he stands especially regarding my sister's maintenance grant as she depends on that with my parents low income. Very hard to know what's best for him to do but I will get him to contact fas and see, thanks

Is this a Fas scheme otherwise know as Community employment scheme, as they 19 hours weekly or 38 hours over 2 weeks which in effect is 1 week on, 1 week off.

This will replace the JA plus 20.00 per week and you keep you existing benefits. It also would not affect third level grant

Secondary benefits

You will retain your medical card.
You will retain an entitlement to the secondary benefits you were receiving immediately before going onto Community Employment provided you continue to satisfy the conditions for these benefits.

Thanks very much everyone for the replies he will look into it im very grateful..

Goodman black sheep thank you

Back