Job Offer - Procedure for handing in notice

qwerty08

Hi All

After a pain staking process, I've finally been offered a dream job that I want to run with. I received the terms of the offer via email and it said that it is subject to medical and references (one of which is my current employer).

In order to tie in with the new company's start date requirements I will need to hand in my notice tomorrow to serve out the required time. Is there any risk in handing in my notice prior to to doing the medical (which the new company has booked for mid this week). I'm assuming they couldn't refuse to hire me on the basis of a medical issue regardless (not that i expect there to be any issue).

The recruiter has said that this is all standard procedure but I just want to know what people's experiences are.

Can you pass a drug test? if so you should be fine, the majority of medicals are to assess your incoming health state in case you develop issues down the road, like hearing loss etc. Someone else can answer for the legality of discrimination on health grounds in Ireland. In the US I drug/alcohol test all new hires, and I'm not obliged to hire a smoker.

Tread carefully. I wouldn't go handing in my notice until I had a non-conditional offer on the table. If they want to rush you for a start date, let them rush through the medical first. Are you sure your current employer will give a reference? Some employers will only say that 'John Smith worked for xxxx as toilet cleaner from 1st Jan to 31st Dec' or similar - will the new employer be happy with that?

absolutely hold off until contracts etc are signed - medical is not just there for a drug test signoff - it will also be used to assess eligibility into pension scheme etc.

in terms of references - what happens if the current company refuse to give one ?

is the offer null and void then and you would be left in an uncomfortable position ?

Do you have any outstanding annual leave you could take in lieu of the end of your notice period? That would allow you to still finish on time but hand in your notice a few days later than otherwise required.

If medicals were just a formality they would not be done. So think carefully!
I would not hand in my notice until I had a watertight signed contract in my hand

Yes wait until you have the medical, you will most likely be fine and your new employers shouldn't be bothered too much if you have to start a week later. Jobs are scare and far between at the moment and it's good to be sure to be sure!

I would wait until medical has been completed and until you have signed a written contract. The new employer should not mind if you are required to work out a longer notice period.

There's not much they can do with the results of a medical unless the doctor certifies that you are unfit to perform the normal functions of the job. Many companies have stopped doing medicals due to the possible complications involved. The legal advice to the company I work for indicated doing medicals were a waste of time/money due to the risk of exposure to discrimination claims.

For example, if a company decided not to hire based on the results of hearing/sight test components of a medical, they would be open to age discrimination claims as these are factors that commonly deteriorate with age.

Guess who just finished their employment law training :)
Leo

Back