job loss and mortgage

K

kmcobrien

I know that if you lose your job you can claim unemployment benefit from the government which also includes a rent allowance.

I'm just wondering, what happens in this case if you own a property and are paying a mortgage. Are you still entitled to claim unemployment benefit even though you possess an asset? and do you recieve a 'mortgage allowance' in place of rent allowance?

You receive a mortgage allowance which is means tested from the Health board.

Are these links of any use:

www.welfare.ie/schemes/unemp/index.html

Note that Unemployment Benefit is not means tested but is linked to your PRSI payment history so is not affected by any means/assets that you own. Unemployment Assistance however IS means tested.

I read somewhere that the mortgage allowance in this case was aimed at meeting the interest payments on the mortgage, but not repaying the capital in such cases.

Sounds like this scheme:

lost job

My partner has lost his job. He won,t sign on as he said last time he did years ago they said he owed them money . He still hasn,t found a job and we have kids here too, I would rather he would go to social welfare but he won,t listen. He has mortgage protection but this is only availablr for you if you sign on so in otherwords its no use to us/him as he won,t sign on.

Anyone know how this stands? The dole saying he owes them money from years ago? It wasn,t a big amount either, apparantly they overpaid him somewhere along the line once...

Thanks in advance

Re: lost job

The dole saying he owes them money from years ago? It wasn,t a big amount either, apparantly they overpaid him somewhere along the line once...

Sounds to me like he'd be as well off signing on and allowing them to deduct whatever is owed from what he is due. Better to claim one's welfare entitlements when one needs them. How much is involved do you know?

Back