Job advertised only accepting those on Jobseekers allowance

mrscat

I saw a job advertised the other day that i feel i would be suitable for, however i am in full time employment and the job is advertising that only those who are on job seekers allowance are eligible. Is this allowed. I know I am extremly lucky to have a job but my current job is a two hour commute from my family home and the position I saw advertised is 10 minutes from my home.

Yes, it is allowed. Actually, it's encouraged. Employers get some incentives for hiring people from the unemployment list.

Under the anti-discrimination acts, there are very specific grounds e.g. marital status or race. Employment status is not one of them.

It could be a job funded under a labour market activation scheme. That scheme has a particular policy behind it, and is aimed at a certain group of people and that is why the job would be advertised like that.

Interestingly only 15% of those recruited to conduct the census were on the live register as a plan to "discriminate" in their favour had to be abandoned because it would breach the principles of "fairness, equality, openness and transparency" in operation in the public service.

Back