Ivan Yates leaving Ireland for bankruptcy

Bronte

I was able to listen to him this morning, he was in top form, really good on the RTE story and it's sad we will lose him to the airwaves. Say what you like about Dennis O' Brien but it's nice to have an alternative to RTE.

I really like the dynamic between yates and o'donohoe. It's one of those relationships where they each balance out the other. I too will be sad to see him go.

I like the show. I agree that the dynamic is good between the two presenters. As for Yates; he's much better than that bombastic clown they have on in the evening!

Is he finished today? I was listening on the way in and there was no mention of today being his last day.

Do you think Shane Coleman will fill in until they find a permanent filler for the slot?

I like Ivan on NT but I really dislike the other fellow and the tweedle-dum tweedle-dee style of interviewing including inane banter and "underpants"humour.

I tended to like him as a broadcaster but was irked by his constant references to underworked, overpaid public servants, no matter what the context. I've lost a lot of respect for him since the news about the likely UK move/bankruptcy proceedings came out. He was forever outraged about Nama, property developers, the public service and the general state of the economy so I think it would be extremely hypocritical of him to jump ship to the UK in order to be absolved of his debts to what is effectively a state bank. It damages his credibility and rules out, in my view anyway, any possibility of a return to current affairs or public commentary in the future because he's now contributing to the problem instead of contributing to the solution. That said, I accept that he has to do what's right for his family in the situation he's in and to be fair, his businesses gave employment across the country for a time.

Search this board (and others) for "UK Bankruptcy" and you will get plenty of good hits.

for example:
a)How long would I have to live in the uk before coming back to Ireland?
b)Could I live in the UK and commute to Ireland for work, or just leave my job here and try to get something when I return? i.e. UK would have to be my primary residence
c) Presumably we would lose our house - even though it is under both names?
d) Again, my credit rating would be shot here, or do you, 'start afresh' when made bankrupt?

Hi, I may be able to answer these and a few other questions.

Ok first you would need to move to the UK even tho you may have lived/been born here before.
You would need to establish you centre of main interest here. and you also need to live in a courts jurisdiction for the greater part of the last 6 months, so in reality that is four months.

You need only live in the UK long enough for the Official Receiver to deal with your affairs. That changes from case to case. My cae studies here show people being in the UK for 10 months after the bankruptcy. There is no case law however. Once the OR has finished with you, if you got a job in Ireland, you could move back, just tell him:-}

UK needs to be your habitual residence. I always advise a live and work strategy. That way there is no investigation!

If you don't pay your mortgage you lose your house. If just H goes bankrupt lets say, his share vests in the OR. The W could ask to buy it back. Why you can't afford it anyway. My advice is that if you are both liable, if the house is in neg equity and you both move to the UK, go bankrupt as a couple. I do this all the time. Leave the house, it will be sold and the shortfall written off.

Your credit rating will be shot for 6 years. But then again you will be debt free. The financial market exists to lend money. A lender will emerge to lend to bankrupts who are debt free.

I hope I have helped

Steve

Always thought he could have been better on Newstalk- he strikes me as somebody quite intelligent and humourous, but the constant belittling of women ( presumably meant to be tongue in cheek) was not to my taste. It may be part of the style of that programme as Ajapale and aonfocaileile said. Perhaps he will move on to this century now.

Of course Ivan is jumping ship and going to the UK. What else would he do? He can become solvent again and his commute to Dublin from the UK is probably of shorter time than it is now.

As for tongue-in-cheek, well that's the guy's personality and obviously, it is not meant to be taken seriously. Please lighten up.

As for tongue-in-cheek, well that's the guy's personality and obviously, it is not meant to be taken seriously. Please lighten up.

If you're referring to my post- no, I won't. Derogatory remarks about women have no place in today's society and remarks like 'lighten up' are patronising, frankly.

If you're referring to my post- no, I won't. Derogatory remarks about women have no place in today's society and remarks like 'lighten up' are patronising, frankly.

+1 The near constant sexist 'banter' from Ivan Yates in the morning (and I find George Hook to be almost as bad later on) have prompted me to switch away from Newstalk.

I like Ivan Yeats, I made a point before he should have been on the drivetime slot. Shane Coleman is very good, as for Chris .....christ

Does any one share my sympathy for Ivan Yates, his family, former employees, creditors and business associates in this case?

He has undoubted ability as a business man and I hope that this move will allow him draw a line under the collapse of his business and perhaps allow him move on to his next venture.

Back