It's a rip-off!

Bankrupt potter means reverse forward "rip-off". Snow cannot warm Humpty Dumpty. Minority splash the rules? An infinite number of "kangaroos" Unicorn says so, it must be wrong. Clarity of meaningless helps the printer.

Brendan

It is still very clear to me that those of us who want to communicate with precision, those of us who want to be understood, need to have a word which implies fraud. To me, "rip-off" is that word. If others choose to use it to mean expensive or to mean a unicorn, then they are abusing the word...

I assume that everyone agrees that the expression "rip-off" includes the meaning of fraud. Fraud is a crime. It is morally reprehensible. So it is wrong to extend the meaning of a "criminal" word to something which does not involve fraud or crime. ....

If someone tells me that Pub X is a rip-off, I will assume that they have been charged more than the prices on display or that they have been intentionally short-changed and I will think less of the pub as a result. If someone tells me that Cafe en Seine manages to have people queuing up outside to pay €6 a pint, I will admire the pub for its marketing savvy. ...

If people insist on extending "rip-off" to mean expensive, they should clarify that they are using this new meaning of the word. Otherwise, those of us who understand the true meaning of the word will have to ask them to clarify what they mean. This interferes with clear communication.

Brendan

I totally disagree with you on this one.

Chambers Dictionary defines rip-off

"rip-off noun
1 an act or instance of stealing from someone, or cheating or defrauding them, etc.
2 an item which is outrageously overpriced."

http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/features/chref/chref.py/main?query=rip+off&title=21st

Collins gives 5 definitions of a rip off. 4 of them (including cheating) are described as slang

"rip off verb
1. (transitive) to tear violently or roughly (from)
2. (adverb) (Slang) to steal from or cheat (someone) rip-off
3. noun (Slang) an article or articles stolen
4. (Slang) a grossly overpriced article
5. (Slang) the act of stealing or cheating "

[broken link removed]

One dictionary defines rip off as "an item which is outrageously overpriced" and the other defines it as "a grossly overpriced article". Therefore those of us who use it in this context are not conferring a new meaning on the word, or abusing the word, we are just using it in the manner and context in which it is defined in the dictionary.

Murt

Last edited:
Humpty Dumpty said something along the following lines: "A word means what I choose it to mean - no more and no less".
I thought that it was one of the characters (The [Mad] Hatter or The Queen of Hearts perhaps?) from Alice in Wonderland? Are you sure that you're not ripping off Lewis Carroll through misattribution of the phrase?

Bankrupt potter means reverse forward "rip-off". Snow cannot warm Humpty Dumpty. Minority splash the rules? An infinite number of "kangaroos" Unicorn says so, it must be wrong. Clarity of meaningless helps the printer.

You won't engage, I'll up the ante - €1000 to the charity of your choice if the OED does not include an "over-priced" definition within 2 years. We can all post nonsense, you have have not been able to refute any of my basic arguments.

The €50 offer stands.

You obviously believe that you are right, why not take advantage of my idiocy to give €1000 to a charity of your choice?
While you're at it, why not explain the dictionary definitions given by Murt10 above? Are these lexicographers "sloppy?" even ClubMan has conceded the point, I'm surprised anyone has difficulty with it.

Perhaps you think that the OED is less qualified to pronouce on the meaning of a word than you?

I thought that it was one of the characters (The [Mad] Hatter or The Queen of Hearts perhaps?) from Alice in Wonderland? Are you sure that you're not ripping off Lewis Carroll through misattribution of the phrase?

No, he's OK - He appears in "through the looking glass." even I knew that.

Bankrupt

You are missing my point and cofusing the matter with this betting stuff.

Why do you insist on using an imprecise word? Does it matter that the majority of users express themselves badly? Why do you not try to articulate yourself well?

If someones says to me that a place is a rip-off, I will have to continue to ask them which version of the word they are using. It would be much simpler and would give rise to much fewer misunderstandings, if they used "rip-off" to convey fraud and "exceedingly expensive" to mean, well, exceedingly expensive.

The dictionary definitions do reflect the misuse of the word. Perhaps the OED will follow suit shortly. That will not reduce the misunderstandings caused by your insistence on using a word to mean two different things, one of which is criminal in nature and the other of which is not.

Why do you insist on using an imprecise word? Does it matter that the majority of users express themselves badly? Why do you not try to articulate yourself well?

If someones says to me that a place is a rip-off, I will have to continue to ask them which version of the word they are using. It would be much simpler and would give rise to much fewer misunderstandings, if they used "rip-off" to convey fraud and "exceedingly expensive" to mean, well, exceedingly expensive.

The dictionary definitions do reflect the misuse of the word. Perhaps the OED will follow suit shortly. That will not reduce the misunderstandings caused by your insistence on using a word to mean two different things, one of which is criminal in nature and the other of which is not.

Brendan,

Your argument boils down to "I don't like the word being used in this fashion, therefore it is wrong." I don't think I can make my point about how language evolves any clearer, if you won't even accept the OED's definition of a word then all is lost. Clearly it is you who is living in a Wonderland! Out of interest, are there any other terms you also have difficulty with?

The slang argument is somewhat facile in my opinion. Street slang often appropriates words to mean the opposite of what they mean conventionally and to to most people. For example - "bad" to mean "good". Does this mean that we should, as a matter of course, accept both contradictory meaings?

The slang argument is somewhat facile in my opinion. Street slang often appropriates words to mean the opposite of what they mean conventionally and to to most people. For example - "bad" to mean "good". Does this mean that we should, as a matter of course, accept both contradictory meaings?

Yes, in the right context, of course we should, do you not?

You are right, the argument is a very simple one, I cannot understand why anyone cannot get their head around it.

Ah, come on Brendan! The word is certainly imprecise - the vast majority of words are. So why do you insist on using it? Why don't you just say 'fraud' instead of ripoff, if that's what you mean. Does it not matter that many listeners will think you are referring to high prices or being taken advantage of/exploited, when that's not what you mean at all? Why do you not try to articulate yourself well?
If someones says to me that a place is a rip-off, I will have to continue to ask them which version of the word they are using, or maybe I'll just be able to take the meaning from the context in which it's used. It would be much simpler and would give rise to much fewer misunderstandings, if they used "rip-off" to convey exceedingly expensive and "fraud" to mean, well, fraud.
The dictionary definitions do reflect the misuse of the word.
No, just its evolving use.
Perhaps the OED will follow suit shortly.
I've got the OED 2nd edn (1989) entry for rip-off in front of me now. This is what it says:

rip-off, n. (and a.)
slang (orig. U.S.).

1. One who steals, a thief.
1970 Manch. Guardian Weekly 2 May 16/4 ‘Who do you have on Haight Street today?’ he [sc. a San Francisco drug peddler] said disgustedly... ‘You have burn artists (fraudulent dope peddlers), rip-offs (thieves), and snitchers (police spies).’ 1971 Rolling Stone 24 June 8/3, I call them rip-offs, and they are, nothing but pirates and vultures.

2. A fraud, a swindle; a racket; an instance of exploitation, esp. financial. 1970 Melody Maker 12 Sept. 29 Rip off, capitalist exploitation. 1970 Time 21 Dec. 4/1 This is what, in contemporary parlance, is called a rip-off. 1971 It 9-23 Sept. 12 Fun Caterers of Battersea..had the main catering concession (the biggest rip-off there.) 1973 Houston (Texas) Chron. 21 Oct. 7/3 Dunlop said the increased spring markups had been ‘inflationary’, a polite word in the context for ‘ripoff’. 1974 Sunday Sun (Brisbane) 28 July 24/2 The great snackbar rip-off that had city workers weeping into their salad rolls. 1975 N.Y. Times 14 Apr. 30/4 A five-day week, with ten paid holidays, plus a ten-week paid vacation yearly. Such a contract is a ‘rip-off’. 1977 Time 4 July 21/1 They [sc. French soldiers and civil servants] get rich and Djibouti gets nothing. That's not enlightened colonialism. It's a bloody rip-off. 1980 Times 31 May 2/3 Britain's 41 motorway service areas..have attracted such accolades as ‘poor’, ‘appalling’ and ‘a rip-off’.

3. An imitation or plagiarism, usu. one made in order to exploit public taste. 1971 Newsweek 18 Oct. 38/3 Most of the architecture is Inspired Bastard, most of the historical re-creations are Shameless Ripoff. 1974 Publishers Weekly 4 Mar. 72/2 This kaleidoscopic fantasy, a ripoff on everything from spy novels to the Oedipus complex. 1976 Time (Canada) 19 Jan. 16/3 Flynt runs three Hustler Clubs in Ohio, tacky rip-offs of the Playboy Clubs, offering expensive drinks and leggy ‘hostesses’. 1977 Private Eye 1 Apr. 4/1 Blue Belle [sc. a film], yet another of the seemingly endless Emmanuelle rip-offs. 1980 Jewish Chron. 29 Feb. 30/2 We were treated to a kaleidoscopic mess of fifties rip-offs, sixties platitudes and seventies mistakes; shirtwaisters, minis, halter-necks, op art, sloppy joes, bermudas and, latest ubiquity, the flying suit.

4. a. attrib. passing into adj.
1971 National Times (Austral.) 15-20 Feb. 1/3 In Sydney comics and books have been appearing from the ‘rip-off’ presshttp://dictionary.oed.com/graphics/parser/gifs/sp/em.gifthe underground printers and publishers who are printing editions of banned books sneaked singly through Customs. 1973 Nation Rev. (Melbourne) 24-30 Aug. 1399/6 The poor unfortunate buyer getting lumbered..with the cost of the device (at ripoff prices). 1973 National Observer (U.S.) 6 Oct. 23/3 The ‘rip-off’ blues, the blues that musicians get when they write songs that make other people rich and leave them poor as before. 1975 Time 12 May 17/1 The rip-off capital of the world [sc. Saigon]. 1976 New Yorker 5 Apr. 31/2 Cargo leaving New York for places like South America is often a kind of object lesson in rip-off economics. 1976 Times 11 June 8/1 The trade in old books is an incongruous mixture of fine art almost beyond price and the rascally hustle and rip-off hugger-mugger of a flea market.

b. Comb., as rip-off artist, merchant, one who carries out a rip-off; a thief, fraud, or racketeer. 1971 Frendz 21 May 11/2 Rip-off artists are only occasionally armed or violent; more usual is..the traditional con~man. 1971 J. MANDELKAU Buttons xiii. 149 From now on my club was going to have nought to do with the Alternative society and its rip-off merchants. 1974 Amer. Speech 1970 XLV. 210 Bring your own food. There won't be any ripoff merchants there. 1977 It May 5/2, I am not suggesting that the Pink Floyd are rip-off artists, but it is undeniable that much contemporary music is a response to alienation. 1977C. MCFADDEN Serial xxxix. 84/2 He checked out the chain lock that secured his Motobecane against rip-off artists.

That was 7 years ago. Like bankrupt, I've no doubt that a new edition will go even further.

That will not reduce the misunderstandings caused by your insistence on using a word to mean two different things, one of which is criminal in nature and the other of which is not.
How many misunderstandings of this kind actually occur? It seems to me that the majority of people, in the majority of cases, are capable of determining from the context whether someone using the word ripoff means fraud or excessively/exploitatively expensive. In fact, I can't think of a single discussion here on AAM where someone has said, "I'm confused... Do you mean fraud or excessively expensive?" On the contrary, most discussions have included something along the lines of:
Poster 1: I see you've used the word 'ripoff'. I understand perfectly that you mean 'excessively expensive', but please don't use it that way; you're wrong.
Posters 2, 3, 4...: No he's not wrong. That's a perfectly valid meaning.

Because there's a context surrounding the word's use, the meaning becomes evident. Like the gay = happy/homosexual example above. Or, to move a little closer to your criminal/non-criminal distinction, if someone told me, "The garda booked the stripper," I expect I'd know from the context whether they meant the garda arrested the stripper for indecent exposure or the garda engaged the stripper to perform at his mate's stag night.

I don't think it matters how many times we point out that the term 'rip-off' has evolved! Some people are completely blinkered and blindly believe they must be right!

I'm personally stumped that people can't appreciate that the english language is constantly evolving and that context is king....at all times.

For the record if I'm ever asked to define what I mean when I use the phrase 'rip-off' (depending on the context)...I will ignore the question!

Hmmm... More discussion than votes, but so far it's:

A 20% (1 vote): SineWave
B 0%
C 80% (4 votes): damson, cambazola, Gabriel, Gordanus
D 0%
Total = 5 votes
Ripoff:

A - Has one acceptable meaning only, i.e. someone tries to charge a higher price than advertised/stated for an item. A high price can not be a ripoff unless the item in question has been fraudulently advertised at a lower price.

B - Has two meanings only, i.e. a fraudulent price (as in A above), and a standard, non-flight-enabled, white unicorn.

C - Has multiple meanings, including an unreasonably high price.

D - Other (please specify).
Don't forget you're voting on what the word means, rather than how you personally use it.

Back