Not open for further replies.

newseeker1

Probably a very stupid question but is taking out travel insurance a good buy

What are the advantages and disadvantages of taking out travel insurance

I have private health insurance

Thanks

Hello,
I think the advantages are as follows:
cover for cancellation of holiday due to illness of self/or v.close relative or business associate,
Cancellation due to Death of close relative or business associate. Cover for missed flights
loss of luggage. Small token cover for money or other valuables stolen.
Of course you are covered for illness or injury on holiday, repatriation if necessary,
and a few other areas. It would take a lot of small print to detail all the benefits.

The most important area that I think most people are concerned about is illness, but if you hold Private Health Ins. you are already covered for such claims, including repatriation.
We had an illness requiring hospital treatment and change of return flights and VHI paid everything, they made no claiam on our travel insurance.
VHI were amazing, from Holland their overseas office, they telephoned the hospital every am. to check on the patients situation and procedures being carried out and reported back to relative on holiday. They gave a medical opinion on the treatment being given.
They paid our return flights, which were delayed as a result of the illness. They also paid for an extra 5 days holiday, which was recommended by the hospital, to allow the patient to recover, the alternative was to fly the patient home air ambulance, which he did not want.
They met the flight to take the patient to hospital here.
I could not speak highly enough of them. I will never change health insurers after their care and attention.
I still take out annual travel insurance.
Most companies offer very reduced rates now if you have private health ins. Browtal

Last edited:
while on holidays over the summer our two kids got chicken pox which stopped us from flying home and we had to stay an extra 5 days - travel insurance covered cost of a new villa for 5 days and all flight charges etc ... insurance cost was 30 euro, claim cost - 1900

Had to cancel a trip due to OH having ante natal issues when 6 months pregnant, cost of insurance as €50, got €800 back

Normally we just sign up for an annual policy and then don't have to worry about it after that

travel insurance gives you peace of mind especially if you've kids- on last 2 trips i ended up in hospital 3 days with baby on 1 trip ( suspected meningitis) ,and toddler split lip on hols this year- stitches etc. had VHI and they were fantastic - had an irish doctor on phone to me within 30 mins - having conferred with the local doc. amazing service .
I didn't have t oapy a penny on hols esp. with hospital stay. totally agree with browtal. was worth every penny of the 99 euro for multitrip.

Probably a very stupid question but is taking out travel insurance a good buy

What are the advantages and disadvantages of taking out travel insurance

I have private health insurance

Thanks

As everyone here says, it can be worth having. I use an annual multi-trip policy which is now provided by Getcover.ie. I have never had a claim but if I had no insurance that would change I think! slim

I have no connection with this complany

Last edited:
travel insurance gives you peace of mind especially if you've kids- on last 2 trips i ended up in hospital 3 days with baby on 1 trip ( suspected meningitis) ,and toddler split lip on hols this year- stitches etc. had VHI and they were fantastic - had an irish doctor on phone to me within 30 mins - having conferred with the local doc. amazing service .
I didn't have t oapy a penny on hols esp. with hospital stay. totally agree with browtal. was worth every penny of the 99 euro for multitrip.

If you're travelling within the EU, an EHIC card will normally entitle you to public health service treatment for free.

I have travel insurance included with my main bank account for MrsK and self. Have only had to use it once and this was without any problem. We also have the EHIC cards.

EHIC cards do not cover the cost of repatriation back to Ireland if you need it, neither do they cover cost of living for your immediate family if you are in the hospital, flight changes etc.. They only also allow you the same level of cover as people receive who live in the country, i.e. if somebody came to Ireland and fell ill they would have to pay €55 or whatever to see the doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back