Is this potentially defamatory

Status
Not open for further replies.
@galway_blow_in

This is not defamation in any universe as no third party was involved.

What it could be is the beginning of harassment. The legal bar is very high here for a conviction bear in mind.

If you're looking for a solution then a solicitor's letter asking this person to stay away from your wife is one way to go. It would have no legal effect but might cause them to think twice before approaching her again.
Ah no , we really aren’t that type of people, this individual was venting as my brother in law is not living locally so they just wanted to vent at someone they knew might pass it back to,obviously if it happened again that’s a different story

I’m pretty clear the torrent of abuse wasn’t defamatory, offering an unpleasant opinion on someone’s character ( indecent, disgusting) isn’t defamatory, had he called my wife a shoplifter, that’s entirely different even though he had no evidence for either

May I ask however, it happened outside a shop and the owner was inside as my wife had been in the shop prior to being confronted, if she asked the shop owner if he heard the conversation, does that instantly make labelling someone “ indecent and disgusting “ , a form of defamation?

I get it’s lower than an overhead accusation of being a thief but if heard by a third party, is it still defamatory?

Last edited:
With respect, the show here is really a continuance of what was always prevalent in Ireland especially concerning land and nothing more than some sort of principle is involved. You can’t eat principle; don’t leave it eat you. Your wife’s brother has the house, he can live, eat, etc there. My advice is unless you have a watertight case let matters rest. It’s time for your wife and you to keep your opinions to yourselves.
I can only conclude you misread the thread ?

These opinions weren’t uttered by my wife or myself, I wasn’t even present, don’t embarrass yourself further in this thread by telling others ( who said nothing) to keep quiet

Last edited:
I can only conclude you misread the thread ?

These opinions weren’t uttered by my wife or myself, I wasn’t even present, don’t embarrass yourself further in this thread by telling others ( who said nothing) to keep quiet

I think you misread my post. I was merely trying to help by advising that for you and your wife to quit while behind because on the evidence supplied by you, you risk falling further behind if you go down the legal path.

So, whatever about defamation, we're definitely dealing with hearsay? :)
Yeah, my wife made the whole thing up :rolleyes:

No wonder there’s more traffic in a one horse town than in this site nowadays , it’s one little smug sarcastic club - faction , more interested in snide jibes and wilful misinterpretation than a serious discussion, so what if I ask law society page one questions about the area of defamation?

After I was assaulted in a nightclub almost 30 years ago, a wise solicitor gave me pretty much the same advice.
Really ?, did he also frame the situation in such a way that you were the one acting improperly and who needed to “ quit while you were ahead “ ?

This kind of reductive discourse does nothing to endear people to a site , like I said, no wonder it’s moribund

You’re not giving advice, you’re either trolling or misread the entire story ?

only someone looking to troll could claim that someone on the receiving end of a vitriolic diatribe was the person who needed to keep their opinions to themselves and “ quit while they were behind “

I don’t know why I’m still contributing to this thread, but nice guy that I am I’ll continue to try and help:-

1. Your wife is on the receiving end of verbal abuse. There were no witnesses. The only recourse you have is report the matter to the police. The abuser is one goal up inasmuch as on the evidence here you cannot do anything else. Consequently, you’re behind.

2. My advice in keeping a closed mouth was to try to prevent you (a) Giving the abuser ammunition to shoot you with and (b) To save you money in a possible legal case which likely you will lose.

I hope this is of help and clears up any misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Really ?, did he also frame the situation in such a way that you were the one acting improperly and who needed to “ quit while you were ahead “ ?
No he didn't. He told me that the offender (the owner of the venue) would be likely to fight dirty if I challenged him or sought to bring him to book for his behaviour. So he told me to swallow my pride and forget about it.
This kind of reductive discourse does nothing to endear people to a site , like I said, no wonder it’s moribund
This is a voluntary site. If you don't like what you're hearing here, go see a solicitor and they'll give you the same advice but probably better worded.

askaboutmoaney.com is also available should anyone wish to setup a competing site where they might receive free advice more to their liking.

OP, I sympathize - your wife was verbally assaulted, but it's unclear whether you want an academic discourse on defamation law, or genuine advice/guidance on next steps.

Those telling you to 'quit while behind' recognize that your wife was wronged, but is unlikely to achieve anything concrete by pursuing this further.

If the behaviour continues, I suggest a stock response: "Say that with a witness present." And say no more.
Then you can make a defamation case.

You have won and they are bitter. Leave them to stew and don't let them see any sign they're getting to you.

Last edited:
Pop into the local Garda Station make a complete and accurate report.

End of story unless there is persistent or escalating harassment, in that case you have a record in file.

This'll take you 10 minutes and gets the incident in the record. Not sure if you can ask for a Pulse number of the incident for your records.

No he didn't. He told me that the offender (the owner of the venue) would be likely to fight dirty if I challenged him or sought to bring him to book for his behaviour. So he told me to swallow my pride and forget about it.

This is a voluntary site. If you don't like what you're hearing here, go see a solicitor and they'll give you the same advice but probably better worded.
Like I said earlier, a cosy cliquey faction here enjoys nothing more than making snide pot shots , they also rally to the defence of clique members no matter what kind of trolling they engage in, it’s juvenile and makes a larger user base impossible

I don’t know why I’m still contributing to this thread, but nice guy that I am I’ll continue to try and help:-

1. Your wife is on the receiving end of verbal abuse. There were no witnesses. The only recourse you have is report the matter to the police. The abuser is one goal up inasmuch as on the evidence here you cannot do anything else. Consequently, you’re behind.

2. My advice in keeping a closed mouth was to try to prevent you (a) Giving the abuser ammunition to shoot you with and (b) To save you money in a possible legal case which likely you will lose.

I hope this is of help and clears up any misunderstanding.
How did my wife “ give the abuser ammunition “ ?

I can’t wait to hear this but being the “ nice guy “ you are, I’m sure you’ll explain?

If you're unhappy with anything I've said, use the report button. Otherwise do not associate me with conspiracy nonsense like that.
A small clique of posters who rally around each other and descend on ( out group ) posters is nothing unusual on forums so it’s hardly conspiracy theory realm , unfortunately such mob mentalities are difficult to ignore on low volume traffic forums

Mark my words, it’s effecting the growth of the site but perhaps a powerful little faction with uniformity of opinion is the whole idea ?

If you're unhappy with anything I've said, use the report button. Otherwise do not associate me with conspiracy nonsense like that.

Mr Galway Blow In, - T McGibney and I and perhaps others have been very patient with you and if you think any of our posts are offensive you can report the matter quite easily. Speaking for myself I’m willing to give good advice to anybody. I’ll continue to do so, but I’m out of this thread.

Good Day! and for your sake I hope @Purple doesn’t see this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back