Is this a good quote,for paint work

thedaras

Hi,my aunt has been quoted 1.500e to paint a hall .stairs and landing ,a small playroom to include painting the skirting of hall and playroom and one coat of varnish on the stairs and 2 doors ,the price includes paint and varnish and they say it will take 3 and half days.
The ceiling in the small playroom will be included also.
Normal semi house size.

Does that seem an OK price?

sounds high... i would suggest auntie shops around for few more quotes. Assuming two coats, then materials would be worst case 200 euro (assuming no floors being varnished and no wall repairs) ... so 1300 for 3 days is high

sounds high... i would suggest auntie shops around for few more quotes. Assuming two coats, then materials would be worst case 200 euro (assuming no floors being varnished and no wall repairs) ... so 1300 for 3 days is high
the OP uses the word THEY , so then its not 3 1/2 days its 7 . you get what you pay for . all painters ie trade professionals, will fill all holes/ wall reps. a handyman may not always. in these recessionary times is it not our patriotic duty to make sure everyone we employ pays their tax's also. again on a serious note some halls can be very high even in std houses so its difficult to give an opinion without seeing it but i would'nt say €1500 was too bad. ask for eddie hobbs 25% discount!

you get what you pay for . all painters ie trade professionals, will fill all holes/ wall reps. a handyman may not always. in these recessionary times is it not our patriotic duty to make sure everyone we employ pays their tax's also. again on a serious note some halls can be very high even in std houses so its difficult to give an opinion without seeing it but i would'nt say €1500 was too bad.

+1

Too many people on this forum are automatically saying prices are too high even when they haven't seen the job and know almost nothing about trades, painting or otherwise.

Any fool can hold a paint brush and call themselves a painter, as donee says you pay for what you get.

Get two more quotes and compare.

And the other reason people have to charge higher prices is because they spend far more time on the road calling to houses to give quotes.

Sometimes there is no point in bothering to call to some people because they are just looking for quotes to see if their original painter is charging too much.

I think the days of charging for quotes is going to come back because speaking for myself I spend far too much time calling to houses, it literally eats my time up.

There are good and bad painters though.It depends on the quality, the price doesnt seem too bad.Of course I would do it for €500 but probably not do as good a job as a pro or as quick a job.I think referaals are the best for tradesmen anyhow, no disrepect to you S.L.F.

There are good and bad painters though.It depends on the quality, the price doesnt seem too bad.Of course I would do it for €500 but probably not do as good a job as a pro or as quick a job.I think referaals are the best for tradesmen anyhow, no disrepect to you S.L.F.

No disrespect taken I was just referring to the fact that sometimes if you are new to an area for example you would need to ask for refs for a tradesmans (or anybody elses) work.

Maybe thedaras should take some pictures and get you to quote for the job online.Does this site allow attachments?

SLF... I'm not automatically assuming costs are high here... and not trying to offend anyone here either. A relation recently had a professional painter in for similar job... the painter done hall, stairs and landing and one bedroom for 900 euro with all materials included (doors and skirting also incl). Had a colour change in the hall also to contend with. Ceiling very high over the stairs and had to do some very minor wall repairs. Very high quality finish. It took him 4 days. Maybe painter gave a low quote to get the work but my relation didnt ask anyone else for a quote as this painter always does high quality work, with best quality paints

(Donee...And he gave receipt with VAT charge included at value above which I can only assume that he passes on)

Fogart...good idea on the pics if the forum allows it.. I have seen recent post where someone had a picture of the internals of their attic questioning removal of the roof ties

That isn't always practical.

Best if you are going for quotes to get references at least 2 or 3 would be the norm.
References given in these circumstances (and indeed in many other circumstances) are fairly worthless. You never know if you are actually speaking to the guy's brother-in-law or a genuine customer.

References are worth little unless you know the persons supplying them. I imagine that most people should know friends/neighbours that have paint work done. The quote seems good enough if the work is up to standard. Have you seen any recent work of theirs?

SLF... I'm not automatically assuming costs are high here... and not trying to offend anyone here either. A relation recently had a professional painter in for similar job... the painter done hall, stairs and landing and one bedroom for 900 euro with all materials included (doors and skirting also incl). Had a colour change in the hall also to contend with. Ceiling very high over the stairs and had to do some very minor wall repairs. Very high quality finish. It took him 4 days. Maybe painter gave a low quote to get the work but my relation didnt ask anyone else for a quote as this painter always does high quality work, with best quality paints

(Donee...And he gave receipt with VAT charge included at value above which I can only assume that he passes on)
at €900 inc or minus VAT 13.5 and materials that leaves the painter or tradesman with less than €700. he worked for nothing. no offence intended to either you or the poor painter

use tenderme.ie
have no affliation with the site, useful though to get an idea of price

Any fool and his dog can join a service like this. There is no guarantee of getting a tradesman unless you use a service that is affiliated with an actual representative body of tradesmen.

Maybe thedaras should take some pictures and get you to quote for the job online.Does this site allow attachments?

We do not support posting images, and do not allow people to advertise their services.
Leo

Hi Chlipps, could you send me a pm with details of the painter/decorator, I have a load of work to do. Thanks.

Back