Is there money in being an Influencer?

Leper

Forgive me, but I have come across the word Influencer quite often lately and until a few minutes ago I didn't know what an Influencer is. What kind of people are influencers? Do they get paid? Who pays them? Could I be an influencer? Is @Purple an Influencer?

It's just another advertising medium, they are paid to promote products, places, etc., even some of the Irish one's you have never heard of will be paid in the thousands per social media post.

Thanks Leo. I didn't know of how influential Influencers could be. Obviously, somebody thinks they are worth paying. I often wondered why so many people wanted me as a friend on facebook. Your post explains that. But, there may be a few bob there for somebody e.g. @Purple? If anybody can make money from this, good luck to them.

You can always do a degree in it

There are some who make a very good living on it. There is an account in Instagram for example, where the influencer goes around sampling hospitality at football and rugby events, (the very posh tickets). He has around 300k+ followers on social media and the clubs pay him to, in effect, promote their offering.

However unless you are famous or have a USP (like the one above), it's perhaps more limited

, I think you would make a great influencer Leper.
As a guy who lost a pile on AIB and Eircom shares I don't think I could influence anybody in investments. Usually, my National Hunt Racing selections lose (although for once I had a good "touch" yesterday in Tramore where I had three up in a Yankee bet). But, otherwise, if I published my selections the punters would know which horses not to back. Outside of that I would not be a great Influencer.

Back