Is there any Upper limit for one taxpayer for the Charitable Donation Scheme?

RichInSpirit

A €250 donation to a charity is the minimum on which tax can be reclaimed by a charity.

I was wondering is there an upper limit for a charitable donation from a tax payer on which tax can be reclaimed by a charity?

I was thinking about this lately after reading some ask about money threads where people have maxed out out their tax free pension entitlements. It might be an option to give heavily to some favoured charity to reduce their tax paid to the State. Although it could be argued that the State needs your tax money too.

The sum of your donations to an approved body or bodies in any tax year can't, for tax relief purposes, be more than €1,000,000;

If you are associated with a charity (employee, director, trustee, member etc) the total annual donation is restricted to 10% of your income for that year.

The amount repaid to an approved body can't be greater than the amount of tax paid by you (the donor) for the year in question.

The sum of your donations to an approved body or bodies in any tax year can't, for tax relief purposes, be more than €1,000,000;

If you are associated with a charity (employee, director, trustee, member etc) the total annual donation is restricted to 10% of your income for that year.

The amount repaid to an approved body can't be greater than the amount of tax paid by you (the donor) for the year in question.

So to be able to take full tax advantage of 1million euros you would have to be paying tax of 1million euros?

It might be an option to give heavily to some favoured charity to reduce their tax paid to the State.
This is not tax advice but look very carefully at the chosen charity's governance before you do this. There are well-known cases of where all was not what it seemed. My wife has a few friends who worked in the NGO sector for years and they found that many of them are cottage industries with over-reliance on family and connected parties. Even the good ones are often slow to innovate and often unproductive.

For years I gave to a particular charity and they availed of the tax relief. I got pretty disillusioned at said charity's reluctance to provide any meaningful reporting to donors. At the end I gave up and reckoned the state was better equipped to spend the money than the charity was.

"€5.9 billion in State funding was provided to the non-profit sector in 2018."
Honestly I think the state is better equipped to monitor performance of these bodies than a random donor like me is.

reportedly endows the charitable and NGO sector with huge sums every year.
Not all of it is free money. A lot of this is HSE section 38 bodies who are receiving payment in receipt for services. For the rest there are usually conditions and performance monitoring. C&AG often has audit rights.

Honestly I think the state is better equipped to monitor performance of these bodies than a random donor like me is.
Hmmm.
Not all of it is free money. A lot of this is HSE section 38 bodies who are receiving payment in receipt for services. For the rest there are usually conditions and performance monitoring. C&AG often has audit rights.
I never claimed it was free money. Of course it is discharged as payment for the provision of services.

Shhh. Don't mention Rehab!

Back