Health Insurance Is there any advantage in a couple being insured with the same company?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Why do married couples choose insurance from the same company?

Is there any advantage in having two on the same policy?

I see a note about a "family excess". How does that work?

Brendan

We now have separate health insurance policies but with the same company. At the moment they are the same plans but thinking of different plans for each of us for the future. The reason being was that in some years we found that one of us had more doctor visits than the other but because there was a family excess, that one person needed to make lots of visits. In the end we were unable to make any sort of claim. If we had two separate policies at the time then one of us might have got something back on our single person's excess.

I note when I signed up for my new policy that I had the option of putting separate cover level in place for my wife with LAYA. There appears to be no discount for joint cover so it would appear feasible for a couple to insure with separate companies should this be their preference!

The reason being was that in some years we found that one of us had more doctor visits than the other but because there was a family excess, that one person needed to make lots of visits. In the end we were unable to make any sort of claim. If we had two separate policies at the time then one of us might have got something back on our single person's excess.

Hi Grizzly, so it's a disadvantage to have two people on the same policy. I had seen the following e.g. On the Laya Assure Vitality policy, but had not realised what it meant.

upload_2015-1-20_14-43-52.png

If you have a joint policy, you are well, but Mrs Grizzly runs up €400 in bills, she will get nothing.

If you have separate policies, should could claim €250!

That's mad. There must be some explanation for this.

Brendan

So, are these sorts of thread titles pointless?

Best options for 2 adults & 3 kids

It really is meaningless to ask for the best policy for two adults. The best policy for an adult is the best policy. The best policy for two adults costs twice that.

Brendan

Back