Is there an increase in the number of jobs advertised lately?

Rois

I have started to notice a small increase in the number of jobs being advertised again. I'm referring mostly to job websites and my local newspaper (midlands area).

I'm not referring to agencies here (as I don't have much faith in them), but for the first time in a couple of years I am starting to see some activity in the jobs market.

Just wondering if this is a one-off or if anyone has noticed a trend upwards in the jobs market?

Yes I have noticed an increase also. Still lots of rubbish advertised through agents on the main sites, jobs that don't seem to exist and all they want is your details.

Same as ever though to land the big job its not what you know but who you know.

Out of interest, what field are you referring to? I am seeing an increase in the IT sector, others may not be seeing such improvements.

Well, looking at this link - - I can see there are 4,867 non-agency jobs being advertised at the moment. I don't know if that's an increase or not, but it's certainly not bad!

There is a little increase. I dug out an newspaper from 2006 when doing a bit of tidying. 22 pages of property and 10 pages of jobs.
And Pat Rabbitte was on the front page whinging about the economy !!!

IrishJobs.ie index repoted an 11% increase in jobs advertised online in Q2 2010 versus Q1. Some sectors obviously doing better than others with IT up 23%, banking/financial services up 20%

I've noticed the increase in jobs across the board and not just specificially IT jobs. Nothing like it was a few years ago, but a definite increase in the insurance, IT, call centre, financial sales and service sectors.

At the same time, walking around town today it was dismal to see the number of local retail units up for rent. I am guessing that more and more people are shopping online and perhaps the scope for retail is becoming more limited to food/grocery shopping whereas book shops, music shops, clothes shops etc are definitely suffering from the downturn.

Where I work we are finding it very difficult to get staff. I work in IT.

Strolling through Rathmines at the weekend I couldn't believe the number of premises boarded up. The Swan Centre was like a ghost town. Awful to see.

Strolling through Rathmines at the weekend I couldn't believe the number of premises boarded up. The Swan Centre was like a ghost town. Awful to see.

But at the same time in Dublin city centre last weekend I saw plenty of shops with staff wanted signs!

It seems some places are doing well and other places are doing very badly. Could it be that the crappy places which survived during the bubblebe cause everyone was throwing money around can no longer get away with their second rate products/service? Just a theory...

Back