Is there a definition or example of what looking for work is for jsb?

advice pls

I am due to be made redundant. My job was very suited to our family circumstances and realistically it is unlikely I will find another one that will "fit" as well as that one did. We have a high childcare needs so financially I can't just take any job or it would result in it costing me money. As these will both result in me not applying for certain jobs does that automatically disqualify me from jsb? Is it ok to say I am looking for work within certain pay scales/working hours or should I just not apply? I don't want to apply for something I am not entitled to but I can find a clear example or definition only that I might be required to shoe proof of looking for work.

Thanks gipimann. Are they usually reasonable about childcare issues? I am married to a shift worker which is where the main issue is as I can only start after I have the children dropped and therefore are restricted with early starts myself which can be common depending on the role in my skill area. It would be job seekers benefit rather than allowance I would be applying for so as it isn't means tested does that mean they exclude my family circumstances? Sorry if it's a daft question thankfully I have never been out of work before and I don't want to apply for something I shouldn't.

Apply for Jobseekers benefit and begin searching for jobs in your area.
I wouldnt mention anything to do with any of your circumstances as you are looking for work, so of course you should apply for JB.

The criteria outlined in the Jobseeker's Allowance page re looking for work will apply to Jobseeker's Benefit as well. It will be a decision for the office dealing with your claim whether you are putting restrictions on your availability for work because of your childcare situation. You should make an application and see how it goes.

Jobseeker's Benefit isn't means-tested so you'll be entitled to a set rate (based on PRSI and previous earnings). Increases for your spouse and children may also be paid, it depends on your spouse's income, so you will be asked for information.

Back